February 5, 2019

Flash Fiction February - Chapter Two

I'm writing a novella! Kinda. I'm more so just throwing some words on the page, but I can't do that without attention. Also calling this flash fiction is a little misleading. Sure some days I might only write two paragraphs, but generally you can expect a little more than that. And yes, they will be (by and large) unedited.
Tune back every weekday in February to see how this tale turns out. It'll be dumb, I'm sure. Feel free to throw suggestions at me anytime to get mentioned at the end of each chapter (if I use your idea). Enjoy!


~~~~~


As if time froze and a spot-operator highlighted him, Terrence used his thumb to unlock his phone and open the app. As he figured, one user was probably a bot: its avatar was still an egg. The other had to belong to newfound stalker; the avatar to that account featured a figure shrouded in a blood orange veil. It was a breathtaking picture given the midnight blue sky behind them. Terrence temporarily lowered his defenses as the glow around him faded. Shaking his head, he finally turned around to behold the magnificent creature behind him. “Are you The Uncanny_Dola?”

At 6’4’, they towered over the recently reduced Terrence. Lavender streaks alternated with their natural blonde hair that touched their lower back, which he envied. As if they also missed the snow memo, a tank top vest combo and short shorts exposed their sun-kissed skin enough to leave them racially ambiguous, yet they wore combat boots to add weight to their slender frame. He seemed more magical than real.

“Like I told that leaking corpse on the floor, you can call me bitch. But I guess that’s just my pronoun? I’m still getting used to my liberated self.” That bitch pondered for a bit, extending their arm to tap on Terrence’s trimmed head. Bitch palmed it once they reached a conclusion. “But yes, I am Uncanny_Dola. No need for the ‘The.’ I suppose you can call me Uncanny for short.”

“Oh, not Dola?” he asked shaking himself free from Uncanny’s awkward grasp.

“Clearly that’s my last name.”

Terrence picked up his luggage. “I don’t want to assume anything about you,” he said slowly starting to back away, certain he wouldn’t get far. His interest was peaked, but for some reason he still felt an urge to run to his flight’s departure gate.

“Fair enough. I promise I don’t offend that easily when the intention is right. Or when a person is as attractive as you are.” Terrence paused. He hadn’t considered himself any where near perfect since he started sporting a tiny beer belly, even less so now that he was suddenly shorter. “Yes, I’m talking about you, but clearly you have somewhere to run off to.”

Terrence stuttered, then turned around in embarrassment. He could feel the sweat pool on the nape of his neck. Before he could remove his jacket, he noticed blood had started to surround his feet and jumped.

“It’s a good thing she hadn’t asked you to take off your socks yet,” Uncanny smirked. “Go. I’ll take care of her. I’ll just follow the trail of your new Louboutins.” As if permission was all he needed, Terrence darted through the screening area and made a sharp right turn before quickly realizing his gate was the other direction. He waved to bitch as he rerouted.

Uncanny pulled their hands to their face. Terrence was just as endearing in person as bitch had hoped. Bitch twirled in delight as their long vest lifted in the vortex, stopping to look in Penelope’s direction. “How many of there are you?” Bitch walked towards her until that bitch heard a rustling from a vent in the wall. “Is that you?” bitch called out.

The vent gate went flying across the room with a hard thud against the opposing wall. A bluejay squawked as it emerged, a few feathers missing.

“Oh thank gawd, I thought you were already baked. Come to me.” The bird jumped into Uncanny’s arms. “Now, what did you find out for me?” This time the bird tweeted. “Really? That mean? And the others?” It tweeted again. “Oh, I’d be so ill-prepared without you. Come on, let’s find your brother and sister; I’m sure they found their own way in. Or should I follow the pretty man, first?” Uncanny only took three steps before bitch heard a crunch beneath their boot. Bitch stuck their tongue out in disgust. “Right, I almost forgot about you.” Bitch removed a pouch from an inside vest pocket and sprinkled a portion of its contents over Penelope who started to dissolve.

“Okay, Rupert. Let’s go while security is still down.” As Uncanny strolled through the security gate, not even a trace of Penelope’s blood remained.

~~~~~


Prompt contributor(s):
Adam Lee: Someone learns how to talk to birds and likes to listen to the gossip all the birds hear

No comments:

Post a Comment