November 21, 2011

Shall We Catch Up

Hopefully I'm not the only one with this problem,
I really don't think I am,
but I often forget about people.
Not in a "Oh, I forgot you existed" way,
although some people actually fall in that category.

I'd like to explain myself as an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of guy.
If I don't see you on the regular,
chances are you won't hear from me often.
If I do think of you, it's most likely as a memory.
"And then she held my hat as I threw up on the side of the road.
Hmm, wonder what she's up to now? ...oh well."

There is definitely a list of people with whom I want to link up with
but I'm often busy with this or that and have no mode of transportation.
Even when I'm not busy, I'm too afraid to contact other people
because I figure they're busy with their own lives.

Then there are those people I don't know how to hang out with alone.
If I were to describe myself again,
I'm better as a group friend than an one-on-one buddy.
Chances are I wouldn't have more than 17 minutes of material
I could talk about with certain people,
that I would be comfortable enough talking about I should say.

I suppose there are few things more awkward
than running into an old friend unexpectedly though.
You're sort of thrust into a conversation
of seemingly meaningless small talk
until one of you has to hurry off
while the other says "We should hang out some time."

But I've been wondering lately,
how sincere are those offers?
Do people really want to catch up with you
or are they fine not giving a care about you?

Speaking from my own experience
it's sort of a combination of the two.
Yeah, I would definitely love to see you again,
but I can keep it moving without you as well.
Sad as it is, there are a lot of people in the world,
enough for me to forget all about you for prolonged periods of time
no matter how undoubtedly awesome you are.

That said, as I prepare for an actual life after college in Baltimore
I'm putting forth more of an effort to connect with my friends local to the area.
I've seen enough of my friends graduate and move back home
to realize I have to spend energy to maintain or rebuild friendships.
Because before you know it, you could be all alone.
And that's not a good look.
Word

No comments:

Post a Comment