June 13, 2011

Lessons Learned Taken Too Far, 1

My mama told me, "If you ain't got nothing nice to say then don't say nothing."
Now, to a three year old Charles
whose mama provided for him
and had never led him astray,
these words would be a key ingredient
in the sauce that would eventually become his personality.

Most people figure I'm quiet when they first meet me.
I'm not really quiet; I'm just observing,
figuring out what I can say without offending you,
just how far I can take my jokes.
Because honestly, I have a very vulgar vocabulary.
So to the people who find such words and phrases "not nice"
I keep my mouth shut around.

The same thing goes for my opinions.
My opinions are necessarily bad or rude,
I just always thought challenging someone like that was impolite.
I was a really nice kid that took things to far,
and it's still pretty hard to shake free from it.

So now, you have a man who's turning 22 tomorrow
still afraid of confrontation
because he doesn't want to upset anyone
or have them not like him.
It really is silly, because I know full and well I can please everyone.
But my mind tells me, "What's the harm in trying?"
The harm is that it can wreck your mind.
Holding things that bother you for too long is detrimental to your health.

So for your own sake,
tell a person to bug off.
Tell your parents this is what you believe and there's no change that.
Tell your obnoxious coworker what you really think of them.
...don't tell the police to suck your dick, though.
I don't want anyone going to jail because of me.
But remember to still be polite about it.
Rudeness is for Rihanna and her boyfriends.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment