July 14, 2011

I Actually Don't Mind Them

There have been multiple cases,
and I'm sure you've experienced this too,
when I'm around a group of people
and they will collectively shit on a person's life.
Usually it's behind the person's back
but most have no qualms with doing it to their face either.

Now to each their own.
As long as you stand by your opinions and beliefs at all times
I have no problem with you.
However, I have a problem with those who don't.
In this case I had a problem with myself.

You see, while I never said anything to degrade a person
I would nod along and "mm-hmm, yeah" while others did.
I went with the group just to go with the group.
I had no reason to dislike the person they disliked.
I was a phony, and I felt sick about it.

I have this irrational disease a few weak-spirited people have,
that wanting to be liked by everyone shit.
And I felt that if I aligned myself with the wrong people,
others would dislike me by association.
Well, that's stupid.
If people were to do that,
the fuck do I need them around me for,
to bring me down?
I'll pass.

It wasn't until about the middle of my junior year in college
that I finally figured that out
and said, "Fuck it, I'mma hang with who I want."
Granted, I did it secretly at first,
but I found I was happier.
I almost let other people keep me from a person
I shared common interests with,
more common interests than with those previously mentioned.

Basically, all I'm saying is don't let other people
determine how you view other people or the world, even.
Come up with your own conclusion
before you shut yourself off from something you might actually enjoy.
Otherwise you could end up a depressed, lonely fool
among a sea of people you don't even care about.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment