January 23, 2012

Learning the Doremi

I've always been interested in music.
Been attempting to sing all my life.
Been in choirs here and there.
I've even wanted to learn the piano
a couple of times in my life.
Yet I've never taken a music class... until now.

I'm only three 50 minute sessions
into the fundamentals,
but I feel as if I've learned so much already.
I suppose it's because it's a brand new field of study.
With english, writing, math, science, history, etc.
the class builds off concepts you already understand,
occasionally covering things you already know.
Taking an actual music class that teaches you
the values of notes, pitch, rhythm...
I feel like the kid in kindergarten eager to learn all over again.

For instance, today we were asked to bring in a song
so that we could begin to identify different rhythms and note patterns.
Being the stan I am,
I chose Welcome to Heartbreak by Kanye West feat Kid Cudi.
I expressed my limited knowledge of the 808
and continued to learn more about the song.
What's there not to love about that?

Now, I won't lie to you.
I've always faked the funk like I knew music in and out,
as if I knew what a D flat sounded like
or when a song was written in G minor (like Welcome to Heartbreak).
I suppose part of me felt the need to pretend I understood
since most people believe I'm fairly knowledgeable about music.
It'll be nice to actually know what I'm agreeing with
when someone says Keri Hilson is flat.

With this class, however, comes a new danger.
I already feel myself wanting to become a know-it-all douche,
seeking to express every bit of new knowledge I have
and explain every song that plays to anyone willing to stand me.
This would lead to my inevitable being bitched out by someone
who's musical knowledge surpasses a level that I can't even imagine.
I would like to avoid this.

That said, if I ever try to act like I know more than you,
put me in my place so we can just go back to enjoying the music.
It'd be greatly appreciated.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment