November 16, 2015

Ranger Living

I think I'm going to turn Mondays into fiction workshops for myself. In that vein, please enjoy this excerpt from a script I'm trying to write (and it's not even the best scene).

~~~
Editors note: none of the characters featured in this scene are Caucasian.


Greg and Bast are drinking rum and coke at the dining room table.

BAST
Ok. Who's your favorite original Power Ranger?

GREG
Billy, duh. He's the reason my favorite color is blue. I mean, I was smart in kindergarten and I knew it, so I was obviously gonna go for him. Who woulda guessed we’d both wind up gay? Or maybe that was just the first time my gaydar worked? I dunno, I just know it hasn't worked since. (pause) I bet your favorite is Zach.

Bast looks away.

BAST
No.

Greg gives him a look as to say "C'mon."

BAST
Ok, fine. Those dance moves, yo! [Bast gets up and mimics the 90s dance choreography.]

GREG
I'm just mad his fighting style was basically capoeira. He danced as he fought.

BAST
That's what was so ill about it. Shit looked effortless.

Greg gets a text and looks at it while Bast continues to dance. He goes outside and returns with Chet.

BAST
Chet! I didn't know you were coming over, mothafucka. How's it been?

CHET
Not. Bad. (to Greg) Is Bast drunk?

GREG
He's not not drunk.

BAST
Hey, fuck you, mothafucka, I'm just feeling the Malibu.

GREG
You got work tomorrow?

CHET
No.

GREG
Then you need a drink. I think we still have some Natty Boh unless you want some Malibu.

CHET
Boh, please.

GREG
So what's up?

CHET
Nothing much. Lovely is putting an end to singing next season.

GREG
Who are they, the mayors from Footloose or something? Mayor? Official? I don't know, I've never seen Footloose.

CHET
Ugh, really?

GREG
Hey hey. [Greg points to himself] Black household. [He points to Chet.] White household. What do you expect from me?

BAST
Hey hey, I've seen Footloose.

GREG
Yeah, but you're gay.

Bast flashes Greg the middle finger as he continues dancing.

CHET
What is he doing?

GREG
Being Zach from Power Rangers.

CHET
Oh.

GREG
Wait... did they have last names? Yeah, right? They never flashed them during the opening credits.

CHET
I dunno.

BAST
Shut up, Trini.

GREG
Hey hey. If anything, Chet is Kimberly, let's be real here.

BAST
Oh right. No racist, no racist.

CHET
Anyway, so I think I'm gonna look for a new job.

GREG
Woo, job hunt! My least favorite game!

BAST
Woo! I already have my career path laid out before me!

GREG
No one wants to be a teacher anyway, Bast.

Bast flashes another middle finger.

GREG
I feel like you need a shot. Would you like a shot, Chet?

CHET
You know what? Why not? It's been one of those days anyway.

GREG
Right, and it's only Malibu; it's not that strong.

BAST
Hey, you bought it, mothafucka.

GREG
Cause I was treating you, bitch! (to Chet) Anyway, help yourself. I'll probably just stay with this for now.

CHET
[Chet begins pouring himself a shot] But yeah, so I'm looking for a new job. Also, my lease is up soon.

GREG
Really? Yeah, I guess it has been a year since you graduated. Thought you found that last July.

CHET
I did. [Chet raises his shot glass and clinks with Greg mixed drink. They drink together.] But we signed in August. Anyway, I don't wanna live there anymore. You wanna live together?

GREG
I dunno. That one summer we lived together was pretty awfu- of course I wanna live with you, fool. It's gonna be the best time ever.

BAST
What's going on?

GREG
Oh. Hey, Chet, can this one join us?

CHET
I mean, I was gonna ask him, too. It's a lot easier to find three bedrooms than two bedrooms.

GREG
I mean, he's fine sleeping on couches either way, so.

BAST
What are you guys talking about?

GREG
Wanna live with me and Chet?

BAST
Oh yeah, I'm so down. That'll def be better than tryna find my own place solo.

GREG
Awesome. I'm gonna be living with two of my good friends. Dare I say, maybe best friends once this experience gets under way? This calls for more shots.

CHET
More shots!

GREG
That's the spirit! [Greg pours shots and hands them out] To a mighty morphin' good time.




Word

No comments:

Post a Comment