October 29, 2009

Ashamed of the Types of Stereos


I'm really not one to put anyone on blast...
but sometimes it's hard to talk about something without doing so.

So...
let's just say I was at a gathering of mostly black people.
Everyone in the place is either a leader in their own right or a freshman.
I walk through the door and what do I spot not even 5 steps away from the door...
...but fuckin fried chicken.
Fried chicken and a few drinks.
Thank the Lord there wasn't any grape soda..
only orange for my man Kel.
A nigga such as myself just had to shake his head in shame.
It wasn't even in a bucket.
Naw, b.
It was in one of them white styrofoam containers inside a brown paper bag.
Worst of all,
white people came through too.
I was ashamed as shit.
I mean,
yeah I ate some chicken with duck sauce and hot sauce...
but I was still feelin ashamed.
The white kids ate it too,
but I know they was like, "....niggas" in their heads.
But come on, everyone loves fried chicken, right?
Now my good friends [and associates],
why is it that I felt so ashamed of having fried chicken at this gathering of black people?
Have I been conditioned to feel so?
Perhaps yes.
Anytime I see watermelon or fried chicken or rims or anything a black person may want stereotypically, I try to distance myself from.
In all honesty,
I don't really eat fried shit anymore.
My mom stopped frying food around the time I started high school.
But why must I feel ashamed?
Why should we let stereotypes control our lives,
stop us from doing certain things?
We enjoy the things we enjoy.
Simple as that.
I'll still laugh anytime I see a Jamician with a beef patty and pineapple soda,
but I won't critisize them for it...
cause shit...
I love them shits too.

As always,
I open this up to discussion.
Perhaps I can host an in person debate about this issue,
maybe even other topics.
I think I'd like that.
Hmmm....
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment