August 23, 2010

Leave Me Alone, Youtube


Yes, I have a Youtube addiction.
I like to think most of us do,
but I fear mines may be a more severe case.

I've shared 3 videos with 3 separate friends just today,
and I know I may share more.
See, when you share your addiction
you don't seem as caught up
because then you have others to join you.
It's like misery: it loves company.

I don't even remember how it happened.
All through college,
I used youtube mostly to watch music videos
and to catch up on the latest viral videos
such as: Charlie Bite Me, Sneezing Panda, Leave Britney Alone.

But something changed with 2010,
maybe even during the last few months of 2009.
It stemmed from the lack of quality TV shows on air at the time.
The only good ones came around at night when I was busy,
so I would just catch them online.
If I couldn't find it legitimately,
I flocked to youtube and watched the pirated version.

I remember people would share different links
of funny videos on facebook with each other.
Since I'm a facebook stalker in my downtime,
I would watch this videos.
Then I would follow the link back to youtube
and watch the uploader's other content.
If I liked it, I would subscribe.
Alphacat and Affion Crockett captured me
with their music parodies
and kept me on with their skits and such.
This is how it started.

A good asian friend of mines
introduced me to a few channels last summer, too.
One was Derrick Comedy, Spelling Bee being one of my favorite videos.
There's also StarKidPotter which is basically an acting troupe
that writes, directs, composes, and acts in its own productions,
A Very Potter Musical and Me & My Dick being prominent musicals.
Lastly, my friend introduced me to channels that redubbed animes.
CardGamesFTW redubbed Yugioh
and TeamFourStar tackled Dragon Ball Z.

I don't remember the transition,
but I began to watch vloggers soon after.
Vloggers are basically bloggers like me [and some of you]
except you can see their face and hear their emotions.
I think I remember the first vlogger I started to follow.
His youtube name is bee318ti.
I saw his video when he ranted about Keri Hilson.
I was literally on the floor dying from laughter.
Later I realized he was a gay black man.
I think that's when I subscribed.
The same person that introduced me to him
introduced me to Xem Van Adams,
another gay black vlogger but a bit more insightful.
Between the two, I thought I was set.

But no, my Youtube addiction was growing,
and at the time so was my security about my sexuality.
That's basically I how crossed over
and started watching gay white vloggers
such as Davey Wavey, GDProphetXVII, and Centerfold.
It helped that they weren't hard on the eyes either.

Eventually, they would mention or collab with other vloggers
and I would become curious and follow the links.
Eventually I found this collab channel call 5 awesome gays.
Yeah... that's when my addiction reached a new level.
A different gay blogged each weekday, and I loved it.
This channel also mentioned other channels
which lead to me subscribing to other collab channels
which lead me to subscribe to each individual vlogger's channel.

Checking my youtube account has become like
checking facebook and twitter for me.
It doesn't help that I've finally stumbled
across the partnered channels
which are basically the channels that get so many views
that Youtube features them more often.
AlphaCat is in this category
as well as Charlieissocoollike and Phillip Defranco.

Now, I have no where named all the channels I'm subscribed to.
There are about 109 at the moment.
But you want to know what the biggest sign is that I'm addicted to Youtube?
[This is for those of you who actually read this far.]
I started vlogging myself.
That's right. I'm a youtuber and I didn't tell you.
Shit, I feel like I'm comin out to my parents or something. haha
Yeah. The videos are kinda lackin in quality at the moment,
so that's part of the reason why I didn't tell you guys.

If you want you can find them and see what you think of em.
If you're smart than you already know what my youtube name is.
I plan to keep making more,
once I figure out exactly how I want to present myself
and learn how to work my camera.
I was just using my webcam before.
But yeah... that's my addiction to Youtube.
So um... rate, comment, favorite, subscribe.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment