August 31, 2010

Farewell, Fun Summers

Well, it certainly has been an interesting one.
I've tried to live it up to the best of my ability,
and I hope those of you preparing
to enter your senior of college have done the same.
Because if it is,
this may be your last summer to really wild out.

Though the economy is still a little rocky,
we're all expected to have some sort of job once we graduate.
For most, I envision this being a 9 to 5.
This isn't to say you can't still enjoy your summer
once you join the work force full time.
It just becomes harder.
More hours,
more responsibilities,
less days off.
Those factors don't equal more time at the beach.

For others though,
we may return to our same summer job,
and we'll be able to take part in the usual activities.
But in the back of our minds
we'll still have the stress of what's going to happen come September.
Will I be able to hold on to this job past August?
Can I find a more stable, long-term position elsewhere?
Where will I live and can I find roommates?
Will I have to go back to living with my parents?
And if so, for how long?

These are all questions we should be asking ourselves now.
I'm sure those that have come before us
will advise us to do the same.
And to those who are not here yet,
you too should keep these questions in mind.
For the sooner you can answer them,
the better off you'll be when you actually have to face them.

In regard to this coming year,

yes prepare for what's ahead.

But please remember to enjoy yourself.

Now comes the last year of "the best years of your life,"

unless you plan on making all of your 20s exciting too like I do.

This may be the last time you see some of your classmates.

Sure, you may be saying "Thank God" about some of them,

but some you will truly miss, even being Facebook.

Yeah, weird. I know.

Enjoy this time you have together.

Tell people what you really think of them.

Share your knowledge with the underclassmen.

Be role models to the freshmen that will no doubt look up to you.

Give as much to your college and local area as you can.

Make this truly a year to remember.


Class of 2011,

this one's on us.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment