September 8, 2010

Jiminy Crickets




On Monday night, I tweeted:
"The sound of crickets is underrated."
I tweeted Tuesday night:
"I'm very tempted to capture a few crickets so I can take care of them & they can provide background music for me to fall asleep during winter."

For the past few hours I've been attempting
to figure out this new obsession with crickets,
and I think I've finally figured out why.
I associate the sound with summer.
Perhaps Spring as well.

I've always been a fan of warm weather,
and with warm weather comes bugs.
Sure, most of them are pest
(especially bees... damn bees),
but some are ok.

Some people don't like crickets.
They say the critters keep them up all night.
But if you just give them a chance
they can be very soothing.
They break up the dead silence that we're afraid of,
letting us know we aren't alone.

They also come in handy when someone tells a bad joke.
[crickets] ...see what I mean?

(tangent)
I wonder if I capture one
if it'll guide me like Pinocchio.
I'd like to be a real boy.
Jumping inside whales,
becoming a carnie,
always having a way out.
Maybe he'd fight away termites,
or even better BEES!
Then he'd invite Glinda the good witch of the north
for tea and crumpets and whimsical times.
(tangent over)

Anyway,
I think the cricket has become my favorite bug
...at least until I see a troop of ants carry another picnic away better than Yogi Bear and Boo Boo.
Word

No comments:

Post a Comment