September 28, 2010

A House is Not a Home

As I sat in a chair
staring blanking into space
at a friend's place,
I realized I had only been home
for a total of ten minutes, if that,
in the span of 52 hours.

This is a trend that has been growing
since my freshman year.
I got along with my freshman year roommates
probably the best that I have with any.
That whole hallway was a community,
and the other hallway on the floor
was like the next block over, basically.
I frequented different rooms so often
that my roommates had to ask
if I was rooming with them the following year.

I did plan on staying with them,
but due to complications at the end of freshman year
I went to stay with another friend and his roommates.
It was a six person room,
but three of the original five kids didn't come back
to the school or live on campus for various reasons.
The two remaining guys got two random guys
and then I came along.
My direct roommate wasn't terrible,
but we didn't click like I had with my previous direct.
It really didn't help when he found out
about one of my posts basically bashing him.
[I apologized shortly after, and we were cool again.]
Nevertheless, I still spent most of my time
at my friend's place on the floor above mines
or with various different groups that I traveled among.
There would often be nights that I wouldn't come home
until 4 in the morning, which has continued since.

Junior year
I decided to live with one of my friends
that happened to be an RA.
He's probably reading this now.
Hi, guy.
We received another roommate
who became my direct.
He moved after the first semester though.
...I'll just leave it at that. haha

But yeah... my RA friend,
he has high morals.
And I truly do respect him for it.
But I'm not as upstanding a citizen as he.
Therefore, I take my exploits elsewhere
as to not expose him to my reckless lifestyle,
though I'm sure he knows well what I'm up to.
He does follow me on Twitter after all.

The first year living with him,
I would be gone most of the day,
but at least I would come back and sleep in my bed.
This is my second year living with him,
but honestly,
I sleep on couches more than my bed.
I did receive yet another random roommate.
He's ok, but again no real connection.

The other fact is that we don't live
on the senior side of campus,
and that's where I've been spending
most of my time away from home now.
That hike back is not one I always feel like taking.
Sometimes, I even go to the senior side
before I go back home after classes.

In all honesty,
I've even been avoiding my actual home in Jersey,
especially during these past 2 years
that I've spent the summer on campus to work.
I'm only home for holidays.

I think in a way
I'm still trying to find where I belong.
I hop around so much
and like so many different things
and different aspects of people.
I just find it hard to just chill at home.

Also...
I was an extreme home body
during my pre-college career.
The only time I went out in high school was prom.
Yeah... I was wack,
spending weekends online chatting to my friends
instead of meeting up in person,
watching TV or playing video games on the weekend.

My life is the complete opposite now.
It's almost weird to think about.
I almost fret at the thought of life after college,
not having a multitude of places to visit
to escape my own residence on deck.
It's almost like I prefer to be a guest.

Hmm...
what can I say?
I love to roam.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment