November 19, 2010

Are We Really Fine With It?

I have to say,
my intro to psychology class
is by far my most interesting class this semester.
Not only does it have information
I'm actually interested in learning about,
but my classmates are more than two-thirds freshmen/sophomores.
To my fellow senior classmates and I,
it's simply entertainment as the young'ns
fuss about one of their first college courses.
The teacher's pretty cool, too.

At any rate, yesterday was an interesting class.
We were talking about personalities
and how they're shaped by nature and nurture,
you know genetics and surroundings.
As usual, the teacher went along with a tangent
started by a question from one of the younger students.
I can't remember exactly how or when,
but then someone asked about why guys looked up in public showers.

Oh wait, no. I remember now.
We talked about coping skills
and how some people compensate.
At some point, a kid brought up the example
of a supposedly closeted gay kid hitting on every girl he sees.
This of course lead to numerous more examples of gays and personality.

Eventually the teacher
stopped the class and went on her own tangent.
To sum up her statement, if we were truly fine with gay people
we wouldn't be worried about whether it's genetic or if people choose it.
We wouldn't be putting all this time into this research
and continuing to have debates about it.

I found this awe-strikingly true.
I almost stood up and applauded her.

A lot of people say they are accepting and understanding of gay people.
but the number significantly drops when in comes in terms of allies.
[Ally - a firm supporter of gay rights and issues]
It seems more as if gay people are simply tolerated,
a kind of "as long as they don't harm me" situation.
I'm not sure how I feel about that.

...correction.
I feel very bitter about it.
For the most part, I don't talk about homosexuality in public,
let alone myself and my sexuality.
In my mind, it was my way of not offending anyone.
I'm a people pleaser that way.
But... I think I'm about to change that.
In a way, it put me back in the closet.
And that, my friends, is not the wave.

So, what am I saying?
For one, I'll become more vocal about certain aspects of homosexuality.
But also, if you're one of those people who just tolerate gay people,
thank you for at least doing that, but please try to...
how can I say this...
broaden your horizons when it comes to how
you consider us in your mind.
That's how I can best put it.
Then I think we'll be closer to a better America
...for gay people at least.
Word.

PS: To those saying "Aw, boo-hoo. Poor gays. Suck it up."
Fuck off, we deserve respect.
Not judgment before you actually have a reason to dislike us personally.

3 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I really understand where you are coming from - and I agree on all counts, especially when it comes down to the difference between tolerance and support. You tolerate an insect, a niece, a rash; better than codified disgust yet still shouldn't be the point to aim for.
    I just wanted to let you know that in the relatively short time that I knew you, I may have said some fucked up shit (invariably I do to everybody) but it never made a difference to me and when it comes down to it, you have got an ally right here.

    --640

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's such a good class, isn't it? I'm going to enjoy the next two weeks of us "keepin the mystery alive"
    love your favorite hippie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, after reading this, I realized how truly poignant that picture from the church really was.

    Acceptance.

    Not just tolerance.

    And relating it to psychology, accepting people based on their personality, not based off of behavior and visual difference.

    The key is to not allow those who are abrasive to our own personality to become the voice of the people, at least in our own mind.

    Keep it flowin, Wacko.

    -V Trucks

    ReplyDelete