November 25, 2010

Happy College-giving

As much as I love spending this time of year
with my family and friends from home,
my favorite Thanksgiving memories have
come from my college experiences.
I think it's because there aren't any adults around
and we can all just eat and wild out at the table.

Freshman year's thanksgiving was magical.
My entire hallway was one big community, so like Halloween, we all did something together.
The main room of girls cooked with some girls helping out.
We all pulled out coffee tables into the hallway and created one long Thanksgiving table.
We had little place cards with our names on them.
All of the food was pretty damn good, too.

This was the only Thanksgiving I spent with a majority of white people, although there was my Indian roommate & another black guy in attendance.
It really was a nice affair,
a time for us to all come together
despite the few disputes a few of us had prior to the event.
Our RA even came through on his way to his room.
He was impressed that we organized this ourselves.
The other hallway on our floor didn't do this.
I think he might have been a little embarrassed he didn't
think of it himself, but it was all good.
We welcomed him anyway.
After he left, and all the sparkling apple cider was gone,
I believe that's when the after-Thanksgiving festivities began.
I mean... it was our freshman year of college. hahaha


I can't remember who I spent Thanksgiving with
my sophomore year due to a lack of photographic evidence,
but I'm pretty sure it was with my black friends, just like junior year.
A bunch of us in our class, and some seniors,
got together in the girls' room and ate what they had prepared.
Of course we, the guys (all 3 of us) provided a few sodas and napkins.
...did we? ....let's just say we did. haha
Let me just say, a white Thanksgiving is fine and dandy,
 but ain't nothing like a black Thanksgiving.
The food just has so much extra mmphm.
And since we had some Caribbeans in the buildings,
we had some plantains too. mmmmm.
After the itis had stuck us and left, that's when the dancing and jokes began.
We laughed well into the night until homework started calling our names.


For my last Thanksgiving at Loyola,
the minority groups on campus
came together and sponsored one big meal for all of us.
I can't help but feel as if this was inspired by the wonderful
Thanksgivings the girls in my class held the years prior.
At any rate, it was a wonderful affair.
All us minorities came together for a potluck affair,
most everyone dressed very nicely
except for the few coming straight from a class.
We had soul food, Caribbean food, African food, and Hispanic dishes.
Somebody even came through with fried Oreos! [death]

Every class year was there.
It almost felt weird to be a senior,
seeing all the freshmen and sophomores about.
It made me a lil teary.
This might be my last Thanksgiving surrounded by a room full of friends.
Hopefully sometime in the future,
one of us will send out invites to one last
Thanksgiving as a group of friends.
Who knows? Maybe I'll host one.
Yeah, that would be outstanding.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment