September 14, 2011

It's My Birthday! ...Not.


Those who are my friend on Facebook
are familiar with my songs of the day.
Sometimes I pick the song out the day before,
other times I'll just hear it on my iPod that day and throw it up.

Yesterday, Virgo by Ludacris, Nas and Doug E Fresh came up.
It's a pretty catchy song that most people don't know
so I decided I would post it during Virgo season.
Upon googling it, I discovered we're currently in Virgo season.
A mischievous grin instantly appeared on my face.

When I woke up this morning,
I changed my birthday from June 14 to September 14
and posted the video as a happy birthday wish to myself.
I closed my laptop and went about my day.

Two hours later, at least 25 people wished me a Happy Birthday.
I slapped my knee, laughing in victory.
However, 10 of my friends were able to realize it wasn't the day of my birth.
The first two people to call me out were my best friends from high school.
I knew they would be quick to call bullshit,
because like real friends they know me.

They called shenanigans within twenty minutes of me posting the Virgo video.
Yet people still continued to wish me a happy birthday.
I found that a little odd and disturbing.
I'm not the first to pull this prank.
If a person's birthday suddenly appears out of the blue on Facebook,
you're damn sure I'll scroll down to see if anyone's blown the whistle on them.
Once I've found them to be a fraud,
I'll continue on my merry stalker way.

This is why I've been wishing fewer and fewer people happy birthday.
Before, if your name came up on that right hand side
you were guaranteed a wall post from me,
even if I looked at our wall-to-wall
and you had never spoken to me.
Now, only people who I actually chill with are blessed with my good tidings.

As social media rages on,
the interaction on the sites become more and more trivial.
Well, no. That's mostly just on Facebook.
Twitter and Tumblr are still quality, especially Twitter.
Think about it.
Even with the chat feature,
how many people do you talk to on the big F?
Probably the same 10-15 people, if that.

Let's just say this little experiment
would have me one step closer to deactivating my account
if it weren't for the fact that I would lose my main source
of viewership for this blog. haha
What can I say? Zuckerburg has a hold on us all.
Word.

1 comment:

  1. I was about to say since when were you a fall baby? lol good one

    ReplyDelete