September 28, 2011

Writing in Public Places

Recently I have taken to writing around people.
I don't understand how others do it.

Perhaps it's because I'm too easily distracted.
An interesting conversation will draw me in without fail.
One would think I would wisen up and take notes,
but I feel like that's an invasion of privacy in a sense.
[And no smart writer writes about his friends in front of them.
He does it behind their back in the comfort of his own home
while changing their names like a professional.]

Usually, people who write
in public places are seen as egotistical.
Setting up shop in a small coffee or sandwich joint, they type away feverously in hopes of someone asking what they're writing.
When someone finally becomes bored or eager enough to ask the writer responds, "It's a suspenseful drama about the trials and tribulations of a Mexican boy as he paddles across the Indian Ocean to reach Scotland."
Before you can point out their mistake,
back they go to pretending
they're too busy to notice you.
This is most likely because they realized they sound like an asshat aloud too.

My intention for bringing my laptop around people to blog isn't as vain.
I actually hate when people look over my shoulder as I type.
In fact, I just swatted a kid's eyes away from my screen 5 minutes ago.
Multitasking was more so my goal.
I figured I'd come hang around friends, eat some food, write.
The first two are accomplished with ease.
The last ends up being a bastardization of the post I intended.

If you're wondering how this post turned out so well
it's because I took advantage of the 15 minutes
the change in between classes allotted me.

So, will I continue to write in public places?
Knowing my stubborn ass, yeah.
Do I advise it?
If you have a strong self-will, by all means go right ahead.
Just make sure you buy one of those privacy screen for your laptop.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment