December 31, 2015

My Totally Biased 15 Best Albums of 2015

Another year, another top albums countdown. 2015 has been a productive and lucrative year for many artists across the genres. While it may not be overly represented on my list, hip hop came back in a strong way, with most albums earning my favor. However, I love a good mix, and I think that's represented here.

This list will not include any mixtapes, EPs, or side projects like years prior, but you can browse through my separate post about them here. As always, I listened to plenty this year but not everything. If you disagree with my ranking or feel as if I short changed an album, add to my ego and rant in the comment section. A good list should always promote conversation.


15) The Game's Documentary 2.0
Release Date: October 9

After dropping an album almost no one cared about in 2012, I ruled The Game out of the industry. It wasn't until a month after the Documentary 2.0 released that I bothered to give it a listen. Let me tell you, I bopped the whole way through. It's been a while since New York has been the center of hip hop, and The Game is here to help Cali takes its place. Though the Documentary 2.0 is littered with features from the likes of Kendrick Lamar to Future to Q-Tip to Snoop Dogg, The Game keeps up and occasionally surpasses his collaborators. The production is nostalgic of albums from the mid-00s with samples from artists that influenced Mr. Taylor himself. It's the perfect album to restore your faith in hip-hop and in artists you thought would never be great again.

Hit Single:
100 [feat Drake]
Standout Tracks:
On Me [feat Kendrick Lamar]
Circles [feat Q-Tip, Eric Bellinger & Sha Sha]


14) Tobias Jesso Jr's Goon
Release Date: March 17

Hailing from North Vancouver, Tobias Jesso Jr delivers anything but a Goon of a record. Goon is more sweet and endearing than most other projects released this year, which is important because Jesso doesn't have the range many others in his field of possess. Although if you consider his field quiet, emotional rock, he's not too far behind. His timid nature calls to your inner loser high schooler as he sings about lost friendships and not being able to breathe without that one special person in his life. All the music is written and mostly played by Jesso himself, piano being an instrument he only picked up three years prior. He is clearly an accomplished musician making a name for himself with his first LP. Did I mention he also wrote a song with Adele on her new album? Try and guess which one.

Hit Single:
How Could You Babe
Standout Tracks:
Without You
Crocodile Tears


13) Miguel's Wildheart 
Release Date: June 29

Wildheart is an album I originally dismissed over the summer. For some reason, it didn't capture me like I wanted it to. Over Autumn, I gave it another listen, and the fly-kicking musician soared back into my heart. Still wanting to be our generation's Prince to the Weeknd's MJ, Miguel has soul and vocals many other male R&B singers fail to produce. With this in mind, Wildheart makes for a great... late-night workout album, preferably with a partner but not excessively. Much like Prince, Miguel is able to dabble in the rock genre as well by putting his own spin on it. Lenny Kravitz adds his talents to the album, if you needed a co-signer. With three solid albums under his belt, Miguel should have no problem remaining relevant for the rest of the decade.

Hit Single:
Coffee
Standout Tracks:
the valley
Simple Things


12) Courtney Barnett's Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Release Date: March 20

Courtney Barnett is from Sydney, Australia, and you can tell because she mentions Vegemite on her debut album's opening track. Don't be fooled into thinking this is her first time at the rodeo, for she has not one but three EPs under her belt. With perhaps one of my favorite album titles of all time, Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit is a vehicle Ms. Barnett uses for her witty, deadpan humor. You will undoubtable chuckle at a few of her lyrics. Her rock is clear and purposeful. She knows she's not perfect, and she yearns for you to admit it, too. And you should, because her lyrics a globally relatable. Life is full of moments that make you reflect, but sometimes you just sit and exist.

Hit Single:
Pedestrian at Best
Standout Tracks:
Elevator Operator
Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go to the Party


11) Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise
Release Date: February 24

Remember how I wrote off The Game? I totally did the same with Wale and Big Sean. While I'm still on the fence with Wale, Big Sean managed to land back in my good graces, and not just because Kanye West still believes in him. Big Sean's lyricism hasn't been this strong since his mixtape days. One could argue he finally found the balance between commercial and mixtape rap - the ex-girlfriend anthem I Don't Fuck With You being a perfect example. He in a way admits it when he raps about finally being able to provide for his family and live comfortably, revealing that the rap game is not all glitz and glamour. Perhaps its his honesty that finally propelled him into one of the best rappers of 2015. You can only front and act hard for so long before life comes at you fast. Just ask Rick Ross.

Hit Single:
I Don't Fuck With You
Standout Tracks:
Play No Games [feat Chris Brown & Ty Dolla $ign]
One Man Can Change the World [feat Kanye West & John Legend]


10) Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment's Surf
Release Date: May 28

Chance the Rapper is one of the best up-and-coming rappers and hands down the best independent artist in quite some time. However, Chance decides to step down in order to put on for his crew The Social Experiment. This album highlights the abilities of Donnie Trumpet, obviously the trumpeteer of the group. Chance - being the modest fellow he is - invites other artists like J Cole, Busta Rhymes, Janelle Monae, Jeremih, and more to temporarily join the ensemble. With Donnie in the forefront, this album manages to blend jazz and hip-hop effortlessly. Because of the jazz roots, tracks tend to blend together, but it allows the album to be a smooth wave for you to ride to shore.

Hit Single:
Sunday Candy
Standout Tracks:
Slip Slide [feat B.o.B, BJ the Chicago Kid, Busta Rhymes, & Janelle Monae]
 Just Wait


9) Father John Misty's I Love You, Honeybear
Release Date: February 10

From the moment I heard Bored in the USA on Letterman, I knew I would love Father John Misty's next project. I Love You, Honeybear does not fail to deliver. Through the age old genre of folk, the good Father tells us tales of love, regret, and intrigue as he sings about himself. Concept albums are great that way, you can sing about visiting someone's apartment in the third person. With sounds reminiscent of his Fleet Foxes days, he pokes fun at the way our generation interacts with each other in the least condescending way possible. Perhaps it's his smooth voice that weakens the blow. I'm not sure why, but I haven't listened to this album alone in a dark room inebriated yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until me and John Misty have our one-on-one time.

Hit Single:
Bored in the USA
Standout Tracks:
I Love You, Honeybear
The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apt.


8) Tame Impala's Currents
Release Date: July 17

The theme of letting a record play in full and grooving out to it seems to be a trend this year, Tame Impala's Currents being no exception to the rule. Even know, I can see my curly haired roommate dancing around with a wide grin on his face to this album. Currents is definitely a jam album balanced with a night drive album. I'll admit, I don't understand or even hear all of Tame Impala's lyrics, but the general gist and theme of self-evolution come through on every song. Perhaps this is due to Kevin Parker taking full control and handling everything from writing, recording,  performing, producing, and mixing. I suppose that's why he's so insistent on letting us know that's he's a man: his own man.

Hit Single:
Let It Happen
Standout Tracks:
Eventually
New Person, Same Old Mistakes


7) Natalie Prass' Self-Titled 
Release Date: January 27

Natalie Prass may be favorite new singer-songwriter. Her voice is angelic but not holier-than-thou. Her lyrics are piercing and enjoyable. With a nearly non-existent budget, Ms Prass was able to assemble a phenomenal band with the help of her friend Matthew E White. Together they create a sound that leaves me speechless. From being someone's fool to just wanting to be understood and believed in, Natalie Prass' debut album invokes a feeling of sitting by a landline and waiting for someone to call you back. It's an emotional journey that will occasionally call on you to twirl around the room. You know an album is great when the reprise is one of your favorite parts about the album. Encore. Encore, I say!

Hit Single: 
My Baby Don't Understand Me
Standout Tracks:
Why Don't You Believe in Me
Reprise


6) Disclosure's Caracal
Release Date: September 25

Two years ago, Disclosure released a debut album I severely underrated. Until this album dropped, I played it more than any other album from 2013. The British duo of brothers Guy and Howard Lawrence truly reignited my love for house music. Disclosure continues to drop beats that will get you dancing while inviting their favorite artists to sing for them including Lorde, Miguel, and of course Sam Smith. However, Caracal is an album that allows Howard to showcase his vocal range, especially on the album's bonus tracks (which I highly recommend). Each song on the album sounds different from the last, and in today's pop and dance music, diversity and uniqueness is a much sort after trait.

Hit Single: 
Omen [feat Sam Smith]
Standout Tracks:
Jaded
Nocturnal [feat The Weeknd]


5) Pentatonix' Self-Titled 
Release Date: October 16

Pentatonix is a five piece acapella group that soared to fame after winning season three of the Sing Off and carrying their notoriety by covering songs on Youtube. With their debut album, they finally branch out into creating their own pop songs. They make acapella less corny with their intricate arrangements and smooth blending of vocals. Although Scott Hoying is the group's unofficial frontman, every member gets the chance to showcase their gifts, even the bass singer and beatboxer. Let it be recognized that the rhythm section of Pentatonix deserves all the praise for creating dope beats without the use of a drum kit. I wouldn't suggest singing along to Pentatonix as you may get lost in their harmonies, but that doesn't stop me. There's a part for everyone. Oh, and in case you still want them to cover songs, you can be treated to a near perfect version of Shai's If I Ever Fall in Love featuring Jason Derulo. I know, I didn't know Derulo had it in him either.

Hit Single:
Can't Sleep Love
Standout Tracks:
Ref
Light in the Hallway


4) Adele's 25
Release Date: November 20

The Queen of Having-You-All-in-Your-Feelings has returned! Adele took some time off to mother her child and denied us 23, but 25 will most definitely do. During my first listen, I felt Adele was sticking to her old tricks, and the album fell flat for me. Then I realized I was grading Adele against herself too harshly. 21 is a masterpiece of an album. Will it ever be recreated? Only time can tell, but 25 is wonderful in its own right. The one thing this album has that lacked from 21 is a dance track (shout out to Max Martin) that could be considered the upbeat sequel to Someone Like You. Adele's still good for belting over a good stomp-clap beat as you try to match her range. Just reserve yourself for the slower songs and don't let that tub of Ben & Jerry's keep you from achieving greatness as you annoy your neighbors with your offkey singing.

Hit Single:
Hello
Standout Tracks: 
Send Your Love
Million Years Ago


3) Alabama Shake's Sound and Color 
Release Date: April 21

Brittany Howard and the Alabama Shakes, as I like to call them, released the sophomore album and jumped right over that slump. From the harmonious xylophone that opens the album to the sing-weeping that closes it, Sound and Color is an experience. Bluesy rock has never sounded so good. Borrowing sounds found in pop and R&B and translating them to their own genre help backup Ms Howard's strong alto. There are times I found myself doing the MJB bop to a few of their songs. The themes of the album are eclectic and representative of a band yearning to have themselves heard. This adds to Ms Howard's soul that attracts me so. I know it's taboo, insensitive, and dehumanizing for gay men to say they have an inner black woman living inside them, but I would love if I had an inner Brittany Howard living inside me. I'd be way better at karaoke, that's for sure. The Alabama Shakes are clearly aiming to keep rock alive in a world dominated by pop princesses.

Hit Single:
Don't Wanna Fight
Standout Tracks:
Give Me All Your Love
Over My Head


2) Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly
Release Date: March 15

Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper out right now. There I said it. I'd argue he'd beat Kanye or Jay-Z in a battle, but he's too smooth and focused to involve himself in rap beef. Utilizing funk, Mr Lamar brings us another classic album to enrich and uplift the black community while continuing his storytelling, this time about his struggles with Lucy. Keeping his features to mostly singers, Mr Lamar hits us with bar after bar of greatness, leading the charge to making California the epicenter of hip hop. My only critique is that the album can be a bit dense at times. I admit, I have to be in the mood to receive Kendrick's message. I know it's great, but it's more of a three hour movie in a way. I can enjoy it immensely, but it's tiring to devote myself completely to it. That's not to say the album doesn't have singles. I've seen plenty of black mosh pits form when Alright comes on in the club. Tying everything together with an evolving poem that transitions into an interview with one of the greatest rappers of all time truly elevates To Pimp a Butterfly into one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

Hit Single:
Alright
Standout Tracks:
King Kunta
The Blacker the Berry


1) Jazmine Sullivan's Reality Show 
Release Date: January 13

I'm starting to recognize a trend among my favorite albums of the year. What can I say, I love black women who can sing and move me. However, I'll try to steer away from this in the future? Probably not. What will be will be.
That said, Jazmine Sullivan released the best album of her career, though you wouldn't recognize that from her album sells. I attribute that to poor marketing: the lead single and first song on the album is Dumb featuring everyone's favorite washed rapper Meek Millz. Getting pass the over produced single, the rest of Reality Show is a masterpiece. Ms Sullivan presents R&B at it's best as she sings about love and all of it's different forms. Knowing self worth is important, she remembers to sing about empowering yourself and not letting yourself fall to the wayside. Ms Sullivan can give you a dance track to reignite your passion for rollerblading then turn around and give you a smooth ballad capable of rivaling the best singers in the industry. Don't sleep on Jazmine Sullivan any longer and watch her prosper. I guarantee you'll be a fan.

Hit Single:
Forever Don't Last
Standout Tracks: 
Brand New
Stanley


Honorable Mentions
Dr. Dre's Compton
Future's DS2
Sufjan Steven's Carrie and Lowell
Unknown Mortal Orchestra's Multi-Love
The Weeknd's Beauty Behind the Madness


If you're all caught up with this year, go head and take a peak at my 2014 and 2013 lists. You can never have too much music in your life. Here's to more jams in 2016.

Word

No comments:

Post a Comment