December 7, 2015

Thought I Knew and Divine Acidity

Today's another Monday Workshop where I revisit old poems and pretend they're good enough for public consumption. These two entries are oldies, but I believe they have potential. Enjoy.

~~~
Thought I Knew

Here’s the truth
I did love you
False, I lusted after you
Words are hard for me
You know my public school education
Never taught me what television really meant
But I longed for you
Lesbians, L words, libations
I was drunk on you
Like spiked punch
While you kicked and pulled
Until you were free from my gaze
I was like an owl
My eyes full of you
You must have felt invaded
As I tried to land on you
But you let me fall
Allowing me to see the truth
And the floor up close and personal

But just like the old lady 
Who bangs her ceiling at me
I’m over you
My imagination of you
Overshadowed the shallowness you stand ankle deep in
Your personality is Quasimodo’s face
And I know I’m exaggerating
But I have to
You must be demonized if I’m going to find

Someone like who I thought I knew


~~~
Divine Acidity

I tried falling asleep once
I nearly puked the bed
My body, he doesn’t act right
Not like I once knew it to
But I think, think it’s changing on me
Roughing me up
Fighting back after I’ve bullied it
Misused it
But how can I misuse something
I never received a manual for
The Bible never told me so
Was I actually supposed to pay attention in health class
My gym teacher taught me
And he could barely multiply

Up until the break of dawn
suffering because of past mistakes
Gluttony getting the best of me
Perhaps it is the deadliest sin
Who knows if I'll survive
Water don't fail me now
Drench this internal flame

May I be more disciplined in the future
But if I fail allow me the serenity
Of disorienting inebriation
To lull me to sleep 
Past the gates of hell 


~~~
Word

No comments:

Post a Comment