December 28, 2015

Speaking Queerly




In an effort to enrich and educate myself, I've recently decided to look into the plethora of documentaries Netflix has to offer. Not wanting to overwhelm or bore myself on first impact, I chose one with a title I assumed I'd relate to.

Do I Sound Gay? follows one man's journey to drop his gay-cent through a series of vocal lessons as he asks celebrities and people around the world what it means to sound like a homosexual. A section of the movie focuses on heterosexual men who are mistaken as a friend of Elton because of how they speak, going on to mention that some men pick up their phonetic sounds and inflections from the women around during their childhood: mostly s- and (x)h- words. The subject of the film also reveals that he and plenty of other gay men he knows received speech therapy as children. I clutched my pearls, for I too received speech therapy.

This documentary had been in my queue for at least a month, but an exchange earlier that day made it stand out. I went for lunch with a couple of my friends last week. On the ride over, "Johnny" told me three of his friends would be meeting us.* One was a lady named "Annalise," another named "Lance" with a timid demeanor, and lastly a queer fellow by the name of "Roger" with a beard and glasses. I know all these things because they were described to me as such. I'm not saying Johnny was trying to drop hints, but Johnny was dropping hints. Good, because my gaydar usually sucks.

However, there was one problem with his descriptions: both Lance and Roger showed up with glasses and a beard. I should also mention I'm terrible with names, so I didn't remember which name was attached to the gay character. I just shook both of their hands as I was introduced to them. Then Roger began to talk. I'm not saying he sounded gay, but he sounded gay. Luckily, Lance was quiet, so I was allowed to focus all of my attentiveness on Roger. Roger was indeed the homosexual. And that's where that story ends because I try not to hit on friends of friends when I first meet them, because what, all gay guys are immediately attracted to each other? I have to at least pretend to break stereotypes.

Occasionally, for people like Roger, escaping stereotypes are more of a concern. When people automatically think or know that you're gay, there's no limit to the assumptions that can be made about you. It's a shame, really.

Yet, secretly, I've always wanted to sound gay. During my ten years as a self-realized homosexual, no one has ever assumed I was gay when they first met me. Sure, if they stuck around to hear what I talk about they can figure it out, but no one immediately thinks I look like a three dollar bill. Because I don't look or sound gay, I'm always worried that other gay guys won't pick up that I am. I have no idea if Johnny informed Roger of my sexual orientation like he had me, and I won't bother to ask. You have to leave some mystery for yourself, no matter how nerve racking it may be.

I suppose the "sounding gay" situation is a glass is greener type deal. I wonder if there are phrases that could butch-up someone's voice, because I definitely use "yaaaaas" and "gurl" to soften myself up. We do what works for us.

Word



*For some reason, I hate using my friends' names on my blog. Probably for the better: this is my life on display, not theirs. Or maybe I got in trouble once during the early years? ...no, yup, definitely got in trouble one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment