March 23, 2011

Please Don't Call Me

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one
that can't stand talking on the phone.

For as long as I can remember,
I've hated putting that speaker to my ear
sitting there as someone blabs on and on.
There's always static too,
so it makes it harder to understand the person.
Then I get tired of holding the phone up and/or it gets hot to the touch, especially if it's a cell phone.

Speaker phone was a slight savior for me,
making talking on the phone slightly more bearable.
But there's still so much static
and people walk away from the phone as they talk
so it's still just as hard to understand them.

I also don't talk for long periods of time
because I often myself becoming tongue-tied,
so the conversation quickly becomes one-sided.

If it weren't for texts, ims, and skype
I would be the worse to get in contact with.
I just find it easier to type what I feel like saying,
probably because I can take my time and think about it first.
It just seems like a better way to communicate.
Besides, some people's voices are annoying.

I think all of my friends realize I don't like talking on the phone.
It's my family that doesn't.
Or maybe they do, but they don't care.
So instead of calling them,
I just wait for the inevitable call.
I figure it'll add up to less time on the phone,
but in reality they end up keeping me on the phone
for 30 minutes to an hour
as I roll my eyes, half-listen, and troll the internet.

Maybe someday I'll be able to tolerate conversations on the phone,
but for now just send me a text.
Much appreciated.
Word

No comments:

Post a Comment