May 18, 2010

Celebrity or Jackass


Sometime last week, I was walking across campus.
It was towards the end of finals,
so the place was nearly deserted.

As I reached the bridge to reach the residence halls,
a kid walked towards me.
He looked dead at me and said, "Hey Charles."
I almost looked behind me to see if there was anyone else,
but I knew there wasn't it.
Usually, I put on my tunnel vision,
but since he was the only other kid
I took note of him and said hi back.

Now... in all honesty,
I don't remember ever meeting kid.
I met a few friends of a friend earlier in the week,
but I didn't place them in my memory cause I doubted I would see them again.

So, I initially thought the kid had just heard about me.
You know... like he was talking to someone making an impact on campus.
Yes, of course, this made me feel good about myself.
But then I returned to reality.
Sure, I'm a presence on campus,
but I'm not really that notable yet.
[At least that's what I tell myself to keep humble.]
It was more likely that I just didn't remember meeting the guy.
A lot of white kids do tend to blur together
if I don't see them more than once.
We won't even bring names into it.

So... I'm still not sure what to make of it.
And all honesty, I did do a lot around campus this semester,
and I'll be doing even more next year.
Perhaps I will get recognized and called across the quad.
Maybe people will want to get to know me
just so they can build their resources.
Is that so bad to want?
To be a mini-celebrity on campus?
Or does it just make me an asshole?

I know we all have some sort of desire like this.
If I'm alone in this, then I truly am an asshole. haha
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment