May 24, 2010

Long Hair, Kinda Care

Small fact,
I haven't cut my hair since... November, I think.
So by the end of this month, that'll make about 7 months.

For the better part of my college career,
and my last two years of high school,
I have kept a relatively low cut.
I would let it grow for about 2 or 3 months
and then get it cut when I could find a ride.

Prior to this,
I rocked afros viciously.
...let me correct myself.
It was more of a head full of locks.
My mom has described as a curly/nappy/straight hybrid.
This usually makes it hard for barbers to cut my hair,
not like I go regularly enough for them to know me anyway.

But yeah, back in the day
the only time I would get my haircut
was around class photo time.
And even then my momz cut my hair.
Don't laugh though,
she always made sure I looked decent.
It was never anything fancy,
but I never had a jagged hairline
(that I can remember).

Back in the day,
I loved my long hair.
I treated it like I was Samson.
Twirling my fingers through it
making tiny twist was a past time.
I acknowledged that I looked better with a low cut,
but for some reason I clung to the shaggy look.

It was during my freshmen year of high school
that my hair was its longest.
At this time, my mom braided it for me.
...yeah, it hurt, but I sat through it anyway.
It was okay... but I wasn't feeling it.
Because it hurt so much,
my mom couldn't get it that tight,
so it frizzed early.
Those braids didn't make it 5 days before I took them out.
I wore my hair out another 3 days
and then I had her cut it.

Around my junior year,
having waves in your hair was the craze,
so I forwent my hair
and got my scalp ta spinnin'. haha
My "gud harre" helped contribute to its success.

Now, for some reason,
I decided to just let my hair grow this past semester.
After the cut in November,
I let it rock for the usual 3 months.
But in February my schedule became too busy to hit up the barber.
In the following months,
I either couldn't find a ride
or I let the white kids who loved petting my hair convince me to keep it growing.
Another that kept it going were people asking me,
"Charles, you growin your hair?"
"That's what people tell me," I would always respond.

Most of my white friends were, like I said, for the fro.
They couldn't really grow it themselves
(besides a handful of them),
so I think they liked being exposed to a new grade of hair.
I always likened their pats to them petting me like a dog.
But I won't lie, I kinda liked it.
Most of my black friends were split in between,
but most days I heard,
"Yo Charles, you need a haircut, man."
And I would agree, but like I said busy schedule/no ride.

And so now, here I am again.
Contemplating going back to the braids.
The trend of guys with braids is long gone,
but I'm still curious to try it again.
It's basically comparable to when I cut off my goatee
know damn well I look dumb and baby-faced without it.

But yeah...
this was just a blog to keep you all in attendance.
I've had an incredible lazy weekend,
and I'm just tryna shake myself out of it.
Tomorrow though, you should get the usual insight and humor though.
None of this pure personal blog shit. haha

Til then my friends [and associates],
be proud of the hair you have.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment