July 12, 2010

Check Out My Package


The doorbell rings.
Who the hell can it be?
I didn't take a sick day off work to be bothered.
Go to the door and who is it other than the UPS man.
I would forget about that stuff I ordered online last week.

...wait. What did I order last week?

The man in brown hands me the clipboard.
I know the deal:
sign here
initial here
sign again here.
He snatches it back as soon as I lift the pen
which flies along by the chain attached to the board.
Rude bastard, I think
until he hands me three big boxes.

Overwhelmed, I shut the door as his hand opens.
Probably for a tip. Fuck that.
I spent enough on these boxes, I'm sure.

I scout my living room for the nearest sharp object
and spot my keys on the coffee table.
I got to town on the smallest box,
damn near deconstructing it.
It's a book.
A book? I can't even remember the last time I read.
Must have been an impulse buy.

I toss it to the side as I open the next box,
with less aggression as I only slit the tape down the middle
and rip it open with cutting the two side.
I reach inside and pull out a hat.
Immediately I take it out its bag and place it on my head
as I run towards my bathroom mirror.
Look at me. I'm so damn dapper.
Just call me dapper Dan.
Remember there's more to the box
I return to pull out a plaid shirt and blue jeans.
Seem like a nice match together...
but not with the hat.
I must have just bought the hat cause I knew it belonged to me.

With it still topping my figure,
I move my attention to the last remaining box.
Bigger than the first
but smaller than the second.
I cut all the sides this time.
It's like a grand finale.

I drop the box as soon as I open it
and let out a sound of pure joy:
a mannish squeal if you will.
I fall to my knees and pick the box back up
and remove the innards.
It the complete DVD collection of one of my favorite TV shows.
I don't remember buying this one.
Perhaps I sleep-purchased this.

But then I notice a note attached to the back of the DVD case.
"From an admirer" the envelope reads.
I can't even bear to open it yet.
I can only relish in the air that my new possessions offer up.
I even grab the book and flip the pages so I can smell the newness.

It was a good day to stay home.


Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment