July 21, 2010

Quote of the Day, 2

“Write drunk; edit sober.” ~Ernest Hemingway

My man, Hemingway.
Now before you label me an alcoholic
[trust me, I already know I am haha],
think about how you are drunk.
You often think outside your usual standards
because the little guys in your head saying
"No, that won't work,"
are bound and gagged and thrown in a corner for a while.
This leaves you to act and think freely.

Now, we're usually around others when he drink,
social drinking and what not.
It's the folks that drink at home by themselves
that we call alcoholics.
But why?
Cause they like to enjoy a nice scotch or glass of wine
with their brunch? It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

If you are a creative individual suffering from a block
and you know how to reasonably drink,
I suggest writing while buzzed and see what you come up with.
But you must be sober to edit.
That's when you can catch errors or missing points.
That's why you can't be drunk all the time.
You have to be able to tell what's appropriate and what's not at some point.
Word

No comments:

Post a Comment