October 20, 2010

Graped Tee

Here in my hand is a bottle of grape juice.
There in your hand is a poster you ripped down.
On it was information about a LGBT event.
On my face is a look of disgust.
Presently, it is a day set aside to wear purple.
Draping from your broad shoulders is a plain white tee.
Behind you, you hide the now crumpled poster.
Within me, gears begin to turn.

Before I can lash out, you proclaim
"Wearing stupid purple won't do anything."
But please, allow me to educate you.
"Wearing purple is meant to represent spirit.
This, as you must not know,
comes from the LGBT flag.
You know, the one with the rainbow.
Be aware, good sir, as we are aware
that wearing purple will not solve homophobia or bullying.
It is rather an exercise to unite us,
to show solidarity, in the face of ignorance.
It is a reminder to others that we are here.
And we
are not
going
anywhere."

As he laughs with his friends,
I unscrew my bottle cap.
I stain his t-shirt with purple
as he jolts back in shock.
"Thank you for showing your support."

No comments:

Post a Comment