October 26, 2010

Long Blinks

Dear teachers,

It is never the intention of any student
to fall asleep while you are giving a lecture
(unless the student pulled an all-nighter
and is only in class for attendance).
Our parents and/or loans are paying good money
for us to get degrees we might never use.
And perhaps sometimes we're acutely interested
in what you're teaching that day.
However, our minds are very hyper-active,
and sometimes we daydream.

Something as innocent as
"Circadian rhythms are 24 hour biological cycles
that regulate sleep and other bodily functions,"
can send us on a journey.
I, for instance, might hear only
the last phrase of the definition and
imagine someone sitting on the toilet.
Being the writer I am,
I'll create a scenario.
Perhaps the door is unlocked and
just as they person starts to get up
I walk into the bathroom preparing for my movement.
Awkwardness occurs.
I leave and close the door,
venturing to the living room to pace
so I can hold my bladder.
Then I catch an odd car outside my house.
I go to the window for a better view
and I start to slip out of it.

Next thing I know
I'm back in class.
I'll try my best to keep awake
and take notes with the rest of the class.
But every five minutes,
it just happens again.
Sometimes these things are unavoidable.

So please,
excuse our long blinks
as I like to call them.
We mean you no harm.

Sincerely,
your diligent student who is not a slacker at all.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment