October 9, 2010

Weekend Update: Status Update - "I'm gay."

So, I don't usually blog on the weekend,
but I'm heated and I want to use this steam.


Just a few minutes ago,
a friend of mines had his Facebook hacked.
I could tell cause his status read: "I'm gay."
I knew this because
one: no gay person comes out over Facebook like that. 
We're much more clever,
like me: I said "I'm big minus the g."
two: I'm pretty sure kid isn't gay at all,
and three: it's the immediate go to insult.


This lead me to a rant on Twitter,
which I will now share with the class:
"When a guy's facebook is taken over, his friends' jokingly post he's gay. I wonder what they would do for me.."
"Oh, I know. 'Cee Gee Clark loves white girls.' hahahha"
"But forreal though... I wonder if this was 1930, would they change a kid's status to 'John McDerman loves colored folk.'?"
"No matter how far we come, black, gay, hispanic, asian, whatever minority, we still have so much farther to go."
"I know it's all just in fun and games, but still... why is that the immediate go-to joke? Why is homosexuality so offensive?"


In light of the recent homosexual suicides,
which I have been trying to avoid talking about,
I've recently become more of an advocate for gay people.
I am one of them after all.


Before, I would have passed this little incident off
as just something I found hilarious,
and initially that's how I approached it.
But then a fire sparked in me.
[It may have been sparked
because I'm drinking wine from a Chipotle cup on my balcony.]


But seriously,
why is homosexuality so offensive?
If I'm right, I think my 14 year old self can field this question.
He is, after all, the one that said
"I can be cool with a gay person, 
as long as they don't hit on me."


So 14 year old me,
what is so offensive about being gay?
"It's... different.
Kinda gross, not the natural."
Why is it not natural?
"I mean, I kissed my first girl when I was 4.
Granted she slapped me, but still."
Why did you kiss her?
"Cause I wanted to find my Topenga."
You did not watch Boy Meets World when you were 4.
"I just looked it up; it came out in '93."
...regardless, back to the original topic.
Why do straight guys, ...like you,
make fun of gay people?
"Well, I don't personally make fun of them.
But I guess cause... I mean it's just what guys do.
We hike on each other, it's kinda comradery."
Funny you should say that, I just looked up comradery,
which Urban Dictionary defines as:
A special bond within a group that is in no way erotic or homoerotic. 
Seems a little suspicious to me.
Would you say that the negative view of gay people
comes from a desire for one to admit that they are one?
"What? No. That's ridiculous.
That would be like saying I want to be a white girl
because I have such a built in hate against them."
...you shut your mouth.
"Did I strike a nerve?"
Shut it, you closet case.
Stop haunting me and holding me back.
"...and with that, we'll take a commercial break."
Mothafucka, that's my line.


Sorry, got a little out of hand.
Obviously, I have no real idea
as to why "straight" guys
like to use gay as a bad thing.
Not sure what we ever did to them.
This is yet another question
that I'll have roaming my brain for a while.
If you have any input on the matter,
it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for  enlightening me.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment