October 6, 2010

Hip Hop Block Presents: Weezy's Bars Behind Bars

Many fans of the rap game thought it would be a quiet year when Lil Wayne was finally sentenced for criminal possession of a weapon on March 8, 2010 and sent to Rikers Island. Without Wayne, who would provide lyrics for the listeners to vibe to? Who would fill his void: Drake, Eminem, Kanye?

Luckily, Wayne thought of this ahead of time and recorded a mass of songs before serving his sentence. On the rapper’s birthday (September 27), I Am Not a Human Being was released digitally online. As Weezy calls the album, it is “a gift on my birthday to my loyal fans who have continued to support me.” The record was originally marketed as a mixtape but later changed to an album to serve as a prelude to Tha Carter IV.


Though the album will become available in stores October 12th, some worry that this release will become a trend with more artists turning to the web to drop their albums first, if not exclusively. Record shops and other vendors can rest easy for now, since the physical copy of I Am Not a Human Being will include three bonus tracks.


Though Weezy’s last album, the rock/rap album Rebirth, sold more than 500,000 copies, it was still regarded as lackluster. With his eighth studio album, Lil Wayne gives us what we want: pure rap, no autotune.

In the title track, Wayne reassures us that he may truly be a Martian. The hook of the song is enticing as it is screamed over a beat that could have easily fit in on his previous album. “I am the rhyming oasis/I got a cup of ya time, I won’t waste it/I got my foot on the line, I'm not racin'/I thank God that I am not basic/I am not a human being.”

Wayne also makes references to his arrest in the song: “These days ain't s***, Young Money is/I got mars bars, three musketeers/come through coupe same color as veneers/and you know I'm riding with the toast, cheers.”

The album also includes appearances by member of Young Money, most noticeably Weezy’s protégé Drake. The rapper appears on three of the ten tracks. It is clear that Lil Wayne is still pushing Drake to become a better emcee.

The opening track Gonorrhea features both rappers. Wayne proves he’s still in top form in comes straight for the attack. “It’s a crazy world, so I stay in mine/And n****s don’t cross the line/n****s stay in line/like welfare/I’m St. Elsewhere/hotter than the devil? N***, hell yeah/rock-a-bye baby/homicide baby/that’s more teardrops/call me crybaby.”

Meanwhile, Drake decides to show off what his newfound success has bought him. “I am/spending much more than I’m making/on this cars and these vacations/is that to much information?/I just bought a Lamborghini/I’m not even into racing/with a windshield full of tickets/cause I live right by the station.”

On the first official single of the album Right Above It, the two Young Money artists establish their dominance. Drake spits first: “We walk the same path, but got on different shoes/live in the same building, but we got different views/I got a couple cars I never get to use/don’t like my women single, I like my chicks in twos.”

Wayne then follows up: “Meet me on the fresh train/yes, I’m in the building, you just on the list of guest names/all of my riders do not give a f***, X-Games/guns turn you boys into p******, sex change.”

With You is a well put together rap love song with Drake adding his vocals to the hook. The beat features Motown style female vocals singing “oo’s” which add to the romantic feel of the track.

In contrast, I’m Single is about enjoying the single life in the midst of a rocky relationship. Wayne comes at us in his mellowest flow over a slow-paced bass laced beat. “Yeah, now she harem with them other b****es/I told ‘em mind her f***** business/said she probably out there f***** n*****/I’m f***** her friends, now her friends ain’t even f***** with her/damn, she test me all day and night/so pissed off, she ain’t spellin’ s*** right/I text her back and tell her it’s life/now somebody tell them h**s I’m single for the night.”

This is without a doubt the “I cheated and don’t care” anthem of 2010.

Overall, this is another solid album that is sure to sell both online and in stores. It showcases Lil Wayne at what he does best: infect his listeners ears until their mouth begin to repeat his lyrics. Rest assured, many will be shouting, “I Am Not a Human Being.” I should know; I’m one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment