April 8, 2013

Bar Review: NYC Gay Bars... and a NJ Bar, Too

Well, it seems like this month is all about new series.
I almost feel like a network executive
testing on pilot episodes on the masses.

If you remember two years back,
I challenged myself to visit a bar
not necessarily frequented by my Loyola students
in an effort to experience different ways to get drunk
...or different scenes and cultures in the community, that too.

This past weekend,
I had the pleasure of exploring four new watering holes.
With my knack for over-sharing via the internet,
I feel it my duty to let you guys in on the atmosphere
of these venues in the event you ever have the opportunity
to come across these swell places.


Thursday Night:

Rockbar - 185 Christopher St., NYC, NY

Venue Size: One-level hole in the wall bar
Special Event: Karaoke Night
Drink Special: N/A
Atmosphere: Dim lighting with Christmas-like lights strung along the walls and columns; one bar; limited tables with stools; mini-stage (not in use that night)
Locals: Greenwich Village gays and the ladies that love them of all ages
Time Spent There: 9PM-10:15PM
What I did there:
Having always walked pass this bar
during my random outings to the Pier on Christopher St.,
I decided to try it out since I had time on my hands.
I walked in solo and surveyed the area.
Seeing no immediate place for me to sit or stand,
I ducked into the bathroom to compose myself.
Reemerging, I headed to the bar and ordered
my standard, a Rum & Coke: $8 for a tall glass.
It was strong enough to sip for 30 minutes.

I inched towards a wall spot near the DJ booth
less than a yard away from the bathroom.
A tall, older black gentleman sashayed
across the room with a tip jar.
I'm not exactly sure why;
I tip bartenders myself.

The karaoke selection was massive,
drawing from an online database.
Singers chose top 40s, 90s R&B,
country, ballads, and the occasional slow jam
as they stood among the crowd and belted
instead of gracing the stage I soon presumed was for drag queens.
The quality of singing was mediocre to mind blowing.
These are gay men we're talking about here.

I ordered a second drink to calm my one-man jitters,
a Coors Light draft: $5.
I almost went up to the DJ booth to request a song.
I almost struck up a conversation with the gaggle of gays next to me.
However, liquid courage takes a while to grasp me.
By the last swallows of my beer,
the tall black queen with the tip jar
danced in my direction while making eye contact with me.
I acknowledged him with an "Oww, get it,"
before giving into awkwardness and fleeing the scene.

Overall, it was a nice place to waste an hour.
Definitely more of a group hangout.
3.5 out of 5.

Rogo's Bar & Grill - 734 Willow Ave, Hoboken, NJ

Venue Size: Two-floor establishment
Special Event: Thirsty Thursday
Drink Special: $12 pitchers, $5 rail drinks, $3 drafts
Atmosphere: Brightly lit; front bar with plenty of tables to the side; back room featuring billards, beer pong, and darts; multiple sport games on various screens; second level left unexplored
Locals: Mostly mixed crowd of white, black, and Hispanic men and women
Time Spent There: 11PM-12:15PM
What I did there:

Wanting to support a friend who works as a promoter
and see a few high school peeps,
I ventured out to Hoboken after my time on Christopher St.
There was a clear sports bar vibe to the place
as soon as I walked in the door.
Failing to immediately see anyone I knew,
I dove into the bathroom once again.

Before ordering a drink,
I walked to the back room and found the party.
I greeted the promoter as I noticed
beer pong and pool all ready in progress.
Hiphop and dance music blared from the speakers
as the DJ spun on his laptop.
I chatted with another friend or two
before attempting to get a drink at the bar.

Even with two bartenders,
the long bar and many patrons seemed too much for them to handle.
With people posted up all along the bar,
it took me about 7-8 minutes to get a drink
while I pretended to be interested in a basketball game.
Seeing the demand, I opted for a double Rum & Coke: $5.

Not knowing what else to say
or having anyone to play pool or beer pong with
- many of the people I knew were associates at best
and already with closer friends -
I held up the wall and laughed along
as one friend played darts with his lady friend.

Soon reaching the end of my drink
and beginning to feel like a creeper and a loner,
I attempted to order a second drink.
After two minutes with no clear sign of being seen soon,
I left the bar and walked back to the train station.
I needed to catch a connecting bus
before its service ended for the night anyway.

With a more steady group to hangout with,
it could have been a chill, drink heavy night.
3.75 out of 5.

[edit 4/9/13: apologies, to you all and Rogo's for the prior mistake in special prices; it has been corrected.]

Saturday Night:

On a whim, my older cousin called me just before 8PM,
"Get dressed; you're coming out with us."
 I knew not where I would be going,
but within two hours I found myself meeting
a very colorful group of straight people.


Pieces - 8 Christopher St., NYC, NY

Venue Size: Chic bar, slightly bigger than hole-in-wall
Special Event: N/A
Drink Special: N/A but cheap drinks
Atmosphere: One bar with few additional tables; pool table and mini-stage
Locals: 20s-30s gay men and the average New Yorker who loves a queer environment
Time Spent There: 10:45PM-12:05AM
What I did there:
My cousin's friend was my tour guide
on this magical night.
We entered Pieces, were I was assured cheap, strong drinks.
Airplane! the movie played on multiple screens with subtitles
as a hip-hop cover of Popular from the musical Wicked played.
This place immediately seemed like the place for me.
After checking my coat
and being handed a Rum & Coke,
I was not disappointed.
What looked like a single but tasted like a double was only $5.
I took my place among the group
and stared at the gay men dispersed about the bar.
It was by no means packed in the bar,
but it was full enough to seem like a good place to be.

A hipster-gay walked around with a tray of dollar shots.
I didn't purchase one,
but the girls who tired it didn't seem disappointed.
I ordered a second drink, hoping to loosen up
around the strange group around me.
As one guy talked to me about 90s rock bands,
I nodded along, watching him roll to cigarettes.
I was invited out to chat with them.
It was then that I thanked them for being
so welcoming and awesome to me.
The drinks were good; I felt myself loosen up.
I had them guess my sexual orientation.
Upon realizing of my queer nature
they seemed to like me even more,
though one girl seemed half disappointed.

We walked back in.
I continued my conversation with the guy about music
before having one of the girls try to introduce me to a guy.
Appreciation the gesture, I pointed out to her
that the guy was nearly pass out drunk.
She agreed and continued to talk to him
to allow me to dance with the other ladies of the group.
Before I could order another drink,
I learned we were on to the next venue.

Pieces is a good time.
I saw posters for drag shows.
4 out of 5.





Stonewall Inn - 53 Christopher St, NYC, NY

Venue Size: Two-floor club
Special Event: N/A
Drink Special: N/A
Atmosphere: 1st floor bar with tables, 2nd floor bar with dance floor
Locals: GAYS, in extra all caps.
Time Spent There: 12:20AM-1:30AM
What I did there:
Without given the chance to properly survey the 1st floor, I was dragged to the second floor by my gay bar tour guide and possible new fag hag.
I stopped off in the bathroom before hitting the dancefloor.
Upon my arrival, a stranger (female) came up to me.
We danced the night away for at least 5 minutes, if not more.
My tour guide found me again and 
dragged me to the bar to help loosen me up.
Rum & Coke: $8 for a tall glass.
She danced with me as well, almost forcefully. 
We danced the night away for even longer.

The gay guys there seemed diverse and good looking.
Unfortunately my liquid courage rarely works through flirting.
I continued to dance, forgoing a second drink:
a bit because of the price,
but mostly because I was having a good time without it.
Around 1:30, my cousin began to fall asleep.
The group decided it was time to go.
My cousin insisted that I stay with the group of 25-30 year olds,
but I knew I had to leave with her.
I'll never know what the 3rd bar 
could have had in stow for me that night.

I don't feel right rating this bar
since I experienced only a fraction of what it had to offer.
But for what it's worth: 3.75 out of 5.

Thus ends my first windup for bar reviews.
Let me know if you found them helpful
and if you have any bars that I should try out.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment