April 5, 2013

Friday Rush: Beyonce

The Friday Rush is another new segment I'm trying out.
I basically figure on Fridays folks are usually rushing
about preparing for their night out
or shutting the world out as they stay in.
In either case, I figured I could use Fridays
to quickly talk about popular fads or people.
In other words, this is my attempt at being trendy.

This week: Beyonce.
Listen, the queen of this pop/R&B ish
has been busy keeping her fans and haters alike
on the edge of their seats and tweets.
Besides, Wednesday, she and Jay-Z
celebrated their 5-year anniversary.
Since Jay-Z isn't doing much
but looking after his daughter and the Nets,
his wife reaps the benefits of praise this week.

Her HBO doc "Life is But a Dream"
gave everyone a look into her life
from recording to break downs
to her marriage to Blue Ivy,
whom all the girls and gurls [read: gays]
were happy to catch another glimpse of.
Add bonuses include:
1) hearing unreleased Beyonce tracks
2) hearing Beyonce curse and act the country Texas girl she is.

Bow Down/I Been On:
The song drew criticism,
many people believing Beyonce was becoming too cocky.
But may as add as an occasional Beyonce stan,
that MANY a rapper claim to be the best and/or
better than anyone else in the rap game
without so much as a receipt of their "superiority."
Beyonce was simply doing the same,
but with more credits to her name.
If you're the best and you know it,
there is no reason for you not to clap your hands.
My condolences to Keyshia Cole [a R&B recording artist with a dying fanbase]
after she attacked Mrs. Knowles-Carter on twitter for the track.
Since that week of the single's release,
Keyshia has been receiving hate-tweets and more
on par to the disdain many Beyonce fans have for Keri Hilson.
But this is all just "Black Twitter" going-ons.

Lastly, Grown Woman/Pepsi commercial:
On Wednesday, Beyonce released via her tumblr account
- yes, that she operates herself, a true blessing to her fans -
that at 9am Thursday a video would hit the interwaves.
Like a sheep, I woke up at 8:45am this next day,
groggy like any other non 9-to-5er waking up that early
for what would hopefully be a new single.
It was not.
It was a damn Pepsi commercial with a teaser track.
However, the teaser and commercial itself
more than appeased my annoyed spirit,
and I soon found myself replaying the video for 7 minutes.
Seeing Beyonce relive each of her singles
as she stared in a mirror...
it just entrances you somehow.
It's rumored that the full song, Grown Woman,
will be released this coming Monday,
but I'll believe when I'm alone in my room lip syncing along.

All this is leading up to her new album Mrs. Carter
and her worldwide tour, which will hit the states this summer.
Will I be in attendance?
No, I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a front row ticket
which is the only way I would want to experience a Beyonce concert.
Will I buy the album when it drops?
Well, it will definitely be in my iTunes the week it drops
one way or another.

Beyonce is out here getting her money
and stringing us along like dopy eyed pups.
Those who mind will call her out for it,
and those who don't will continue to
catch everlasting life from her.
Or you can fall somewhere in between,
that's cool, too.

In short, Beyonce is the diva the world deserves,
 and but not the one Destiny Child needs right now.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment