January 29, 2011

Weekend Update: Pets

I have never owned a pet.
Don't take pity on me just yet.
I've known pets.

Similar to what Brownie looked like
My grandparents (who live above my mother) had two dogs during my life time.
There were dogs before me, too.
One ate a pet rabbit that belonged to my mother or sister. I can't really recall.
I liked those two dogs, Smokey and Brownie. I think they were both labradors.
Smokey was first, then he Brownie came as a baby.
One day I came home and Smokey was gone.
I never asked questions.
Two years ago Brownie was put to sleep cause he was going a little crazy. I was sad, but not that sad.
I played with the dogs occasionally
but I never took care of them.
I can count the times I fed them or cleaned up the poop on one hand.

My uncle still has the black and white cat
he let in from the street when I was ten or twelve.
Shadow is his name.
He scratched me his first year in the house.
I haven't liked him since.
That and he's made my uncle's apartment smell like cat piss.

So, I have an estranged relationship with pets.
I have no desire to own one.

Also, I think I might be afraid of dogs.
It's kind of me sticking to a black stereotype:
if I don't know that dog, he gonna try and chase me.
So yes, if I see a dog in the street, even on a leash,
I will cross the street if I have time.
I don't play around.

So what am I saying overall?
....
Don't expect me to be the old single gay man with a small dog as a child?
Yeah, let's go with that.

I suppose one day I'll open up to the idea of having a pet.
It would be a good responsibility builder,
but some how I feel like that ship might have already sailed.
I guess the future can only tell.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment