January 14, 2010

The 21st Century Idiot Box

I forget who said it first,
but television is with doubt an idiot box.
You sit in front of it and become carefree.
For the most part,nothing is required of you.
You don't need to analyze anything.
You may answer along to shows like Jeopardy or Cash Cab,
wonder who the killer is on CSI: Miami,
attempt to memorize quotes said on Jersey Shore,
but it is nothing substancial.
Your imagination retreats and slowly dies
as the televison screen presents images so you don't have to.

It is easy to say that his generation
and perhaps the one priorhave been raised on TV.
However... the threat of TV is declining...
...as the hold of the internet increases.
More and more of our time is spent online.
We browse social networks;
we hold conversations and video chats from miles away;
we shop;
we market ourselves;
we watch television shows and movies on demand.

The internet is becoming one stop, do it all place,
As a result,
I believe the computer screen to be the new idiot box.

Now,of course I am just as guilty.
And as my friend's mother would say to me,
"You have no shame."
But it's hard to resist.I mean...
I was one of those kids who was raised on TV.
I only read books when I got my TV privileges taken away.
It's a mystery how my imagination remained intact,
even more so why I'm so interested in writing.

In any case,we need to revert to more primitave days.
We need to return to the original idiot box:
a cardboard box.
You remember the days of getting a gift in a big box and only playing with it,
turning it into a home/spaceship/office/jungle/other endless possiblities.
Perhaps then we'll become more active and involved again.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment