January 20, 2010

Gaydar & Me


So...
I was at this meeting
and the topic of the night was
Gaydar: does it exist and how does it work?
A lot of people...
well, most everyone believed in it.
Quite a few people said it wasn't always there it.
It kind of developed,
either by finding out there were gay themselves
or having a current bf/gf tell them they were gay.
Often times, they can walk right in a room and just tell.

It seems there have been actual studies on the subject as well.
It's in the walk and eyes.
Like... the strides people talk when walking,
how they sit,
how often they look someone in the eyes.
I think, if I remember correctly,
for the eye thing it goes:
gay men, straight women, gay women, straight men.

I, myself,
yes; I believe in gaydar.
Now... do I have it?
Not in the slightest.
I mean shit,
it took me a year to come to the full conclusion that I was gay/bi/whatever.
[I'm starting to like the term my friend came up with "free spirit" more and more each day.]

So you can imagine how hard this makes dating for me.
Especially on a small, very hetero-minded campus like Loyola.
My strategy has been to ask them if they were gay/bi and then just let things go from there.
Hmm, let's see.
There was the kid freshman year whose shirt I put on and then hit on while I was drunk, who got mad and stop talking to me for a month before we talked again, soon after I hit on him again. We no longer talk.
There was the kid sophomore year in a writing class I asked over facebook, and he said he wasn't. That became awkward as soon as I openned that reply. Least he was cool about it though.
And there was a kid junior year (this year) I asked one night when I came back home still a lil drunk saw him working the student desk, sat with him, watched a movie, got some music from, and then posed my infamous question to. The answer was no. I waited a few more minutes and retired to bed.
Now... of course there were two guys who did answer yes... but nothing happened... and that's all I'm goin to say about those encounters.
[Those who somehow might know who I'm talkin about, don't you dare share with your neighbor.
That's for me, you, and the victims of my awkwardness to know]

Haha. I'm also reminded
of how me and my best friend from K through 4th grade
turned out to be gay when I found him on facebook years later.
Funny how we both gravitated to each other at such a young age. Haha

I mean... I've never thought of myself as an obvious gay.
Like, you know,
somebody who you'd look at and say, "Oh, he's gay. Obviously."
But to those with gaydar,
I suppose I am.
My friend spotted me out
during my summer orientation
when he worked the desk to my two-day resident hall
when I only walked past him with my tunnel vision on.
He invited me to chill with some of his friends
and he didn't even let on that he knew until
a little later that summer on AIM.

Short story long,
gaydar is a funny thing I believe in and desperately want.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment