January 29, 2010

A Survey of Strengths

They say it's better to know your strengths
and work on those as opposed to working on you weaknesses.
Because, you know, then
you work toward becoming the best in certain fields
as opposed to being average in everything.

This comes to mind because a sociologist
came to my Directing I class earlier in the week.
She asked us to take this survey online
as part of her research.
It was basically measuring your strengths.
Well, me and my curious self,
I said, sure I'll take it.

The questionnaire was 125 questions
and there 24 character strengths.
I'll list all 24, but I'll only comment
on the top and bottom 5 I scored as.

1) Humor and playfulness
You all could tell this just from reading my blogs
or talkin to me in person.
Any opportunity have to joke around, I will take.
I don't like to be serious.
It's a downer.

2) Kindness and generosity
Well, yes. I am kind.
And yes, I am generous.
If I have it, I will give it to you,
even if I don't want to,
even if I know I'll be broke til you pay me back
[and that's only if you say yourself that you will]
I enjoy to give and spread happiness.

3) Fairness, equity, and justice
I'm a young black gay man with a speech impediment.
How can I judge anyone? haha.
Sure, I'll judge you from first glance,
but I'll always give you the opportunity
to present yourself and I'll make my finally judgments from there.
Also, taking sides? We off that. haah

4) Forgiveness and mercy
You can do wrong by me.
You can hate me at some point.
I can hate you at some point.
But at the end of the day,
I'll still want to hold on to the relationship we share.
I'm not a grudge holder.
I only return the energies I get from you.

5) Modesty and humility
Nigga, I'm illest writer of all time.
OF ALL TIME! haha.
Naw, I'm humble. I often think I'm crap as a writer.
I'll idolize those around me.
It isn't until someone gives me my props
that I will put on an act of arrogence.

6) Curiosity and interest in the world
7) Citizenship, teamwork, and loyalty
8) Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness
9) Honesty, authenticity, and genuineness
10) Gratitude
11) Hope, optimism, and future-mindedness
12) Zest, enthusiasm, and energy
13) Perspective (wisdom)
14) Social intelligence
15) Appreciation of beauty and excellence
16) Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith
17) Caution, prudence, and discretion
18) Capacity to love and be loved
Actually, can I cut in here?
This saddened me. Haha.
This the kind of shit make a nigga feel like he'll be alone forever. :-(
Whatever, I'll find the one,
and they'll warm my harden heart.

19) Creativity, ingenuity, and originality
I was confused by this.
I like to think I have quite a few ideas.
I just don't vocalize them.
I think I just answered the questions wrong.
Then again, they say no idea is original. [kanye shrug]

20) Industry, diligence, and perseverance
21) Love of learning
Sure, I go to school.
But don't mean I like to learn.
I won't go out of my way.
I don't watch the History or Discovery Channel.
But I think that's part of my appeal.
I accept my ignorance, and I put it on display.
[Secretly, I hope to learn something with every blog I post.]

22) Leadership
I am no leader.
This is no surprise.
I do not have that kind of confidence.
I will follow and throw in my ideas.
But I can only be the front man if I stand alone.
Otherwise, I'll fall back and let you shine.

23) Self-control and self-regulation
As my best friend's mom says,
"You have no shame."
And to a degree, I don't.
If you put something in front of me that I want,
I will go for it. I simply can't resist.
I am still a man of earthly urges.

24) Bravery and valor
See Leadership

So, that seems to be how I break down.
I learned a lil about myself.
And though I do have the urge to
become more of a leader and have more self-control,
I'll hold off and focus on becoming
more forgiving and modest.
"It's just, just what we do."
Word.

If you want this survey go to Google,
type in VIA Inventory of Strengths Survey
and click on the first link.

No comments:

Post a Comment