June 11, 2010

This is the Barbershop!



Yes. After 8 long months of afro,
I finally got the opportunity to have my wool chopped off.
Unfortunately, it was not sold.
The market for black sheep wool is surprising low.

Anyway....
While I was sitting in the chair,
I listened to the barbers and waiting customers.
They were funnier than a Barbershop movie.
[I know ya'll are just loving these wack jokes.]

I kind of categorized them as well,
because I feel as if most (black) barbershops have these characters.

The owner - No matter his age, most everyone loves and respects this guy. His personality is not a certain mold, but one thing he has in coming with other barbershop owner is his love for the neighborhood.

The old dude - If everyone else is busy, he's usually the one kicking it in his chair. He'll say shit like, "That boy/girl ain't have no reason to be up over there no how." He'll join any conversation if he's bored. He means well.

The wise crack - He's usually the one making all the bad jokes. He's also the guy everyone wishes would shut up.

The fat guy - For some reason, this guy thinks he's the shit. Like he can get any woman he wants. The dude is rude as shit too. But hey, he usually has finger on the pulse of old school or current hip-hop and is funnier than the wise crack.

The soul brother - If he's kinda dark skinned, he sports a mini, well-kept fro. If he's light skinned, he'll have a fade. He's usually the philosophical one. Most likely the old dude and owner's favorite because he agrees with them the most.


Now, some of ya'll may not agree with this character breakdown.
And that's legit.
Because I don't frequent barbershops like that.
As my best friend likes to joke,
my mom gave me bowl cuts until I left for college.
I don't care she usually hooked me up.
The main reason she started cutting my hair though
was because that alcohol they spray on you after a haircut
usually irritated my skin and made it break out.

But one thing is for sure:
a barbershop is definitely essential to the community.
Kids grow up in barbershops.
It's were forums about world and community event are held.
Drug fronts are behind them. [I'm joking... I think.]

Anytime I walk in a barbershop,
everyone's usually friendly to me.
I'm a shy guy [when I first meet people],
so I might not reciprocate the love like I'd like.
I want to belong to one of these communities,
call one of them a home in a sense.
I just haven't found one yet.
Besides, I only get my hair cut evert 3-4 months anyway.

In any case,
my love for barbershops have grown a little.
That much I can say.
Now I just have to venture into a white barbershop.
Haha. I always feel like they'd fuck my hair up,
not know how to deal with "black hair" and "nigga naps" and what not.
One of these days though... one of these days. haha
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment