June 21, 2010

TLDNR


"Too long; did not read"
is becoming a threat to our society.
I should know; I'm a victim.

As a blogger,
I'm an avid browser of other blogs.
I love to see what other people are writing.
But if a post is too long or has few breaks,
I'll say to myself "....yeah, I'll come back to this later."
I open up a new tab and continue to stumble about the web.
After about half an hour,
I'll be honest with myself and just close the tab.

Lately, I've noticed it's spilling over into real life.
I'm a writer. I should be reading more.
I kinda like to read.
But books... are so long. haha
I read (basically) all my books in high school.
College? ..."Can I sparknote this?"
or "I'm sure there ain't no quiz tomorrow."

As part of this "instant" generation,
we're used to getting what we want right away.
When we have to put forth effort to receive information,
we spend our time on finding a short route
instead of taking the long road ahead of us.

It's something I've been attempting to overcome for a while now.
I've contemplated making my own post longer...
but I know for sure I'd lose readers. haha
Besides, I don't always have time for it.

But yeah...
in short, stop skipping long readings.
You never know what you might get out of it.
Word.

1 comment:

  1. lol this is on point cuz i struggle with this too sometimes...i know its just out of pure laziness

    case in point, im posting this as anonymous when i could just log in, but i dont really feel like it lol :)

    ~Brittany Shawnté

    ReplyDelete