August 25, 2009

All About That Jazz


So...
I was listening to my iPod,
and I stumbled upon this short playlist I made.
It's inspired by a John Mayer lyric from Comfortable.
The playlist: Miles from Coltrane.
It was about 5 tracks total of random songs I found for free.
After I finished that,
I moved on to my girl Billie Holidae,
who I began following after an art class junior year when we studied her.
After listening to the four tracks I have from her,
I searched for more jazz on my iPod.
Sadly, I couldn't find any.
Now, with me being the soulful, concious dude I am
one would figure I would have a bit more jazz.

Let me explain.
As a kid, my mom took me to these free jazz shows in Newark every other weekend.
She was attempting to build my appriecation for the arts.
She succeeded.
In fifth grade, we were all forced to practice the recorder.
I sucked at it, but I kept at it anyway cause I found it interesting.
In high school,
I always attended the jazz and choir recitals,
not just cause I wanted to,
but because they were good too.
Even when I joined the choir my junior year,
I wished I played some instrument so I could be a part of the band.
I would have even settled for fully understanding how to read music,
which I almost grasped when with the choir in high school.
I just have this deep love for good music.

So, it's pretty much a shame that I don't have more jazz on my iPod.
I mean, words or no words,
jazz can just take you there.
It puts you in this mood,
like you're cool, confident, chill as a cucumber
in a way that Soul music attempts to but only nearly comes close to accomplishing.
I'm not familiar with composers or a lot of singers,
but I plan to be soon.
I'd like to attend more concerts too.
I am in Baltimore, not like there aren't any shows I could go to.
Just need to find some one to go with me,
which, as white as Loyola is,
I can probably find.
Hope to have my jazz cravings fulfilled soon.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment