August 25, 2009

Visiting High School




Any current college student that remotely liked their high school
returns at least once, I would like to think.
Usually it's during a Winter or Spring Break their freshman year.
This is because there are still kids and teachers there that they know.

Well, entering what is to be my junior year in college,
I visited my high school the other day.
They run on a weird schedule where they start in August,
break for a week or two,
and start back up and end just before June.
When I went there,
it started in July and
we had August off,
but that's neither here or there.

Anyway, I visited.
It's was weird to see 7th and 8th graders all grown up,
freshmen from my senior year as seniors themselves,
in power, helping to run the school.
It felt almost like an alternate reality,
because I remember them being so rambunctious [big word for the day].
Now it's them teaching the new freshmen the school songs.
Oh, how I never truly tire of hearing lil 13 and 14 year olds shout off key the words to "Garnet and Gray" or "Boolah Boolah".

I visited my favorite teachers and faculty that were still around.
I really wanted to sit and chat with them,
but of course they were all busy teaching,
so I just stood in the corner as they introduced me to their classes,
some of the students recognizing me.
It felt good.
I watched as they taught the class,
listening to what they said back,
realizing that the school's social climate hadn't changed much.
The whites and hispanic whites still differed in opinion and challenged the blacks and hispanics in class, the day I went it was about snitching, because some how it got brought up before I got there.
The black kids could still careless, as some slept, some stared blankly into space, and others ripped on each other.
It was good to see it all, but I still wished it had changed a lil.

Being older, I saw things from the teachers point of view,
as they talked about students not being as accountable as they should be
on matters I won't discuss for I don't know the full details of it.

I left without seeing everyone I wanted to see,
but such is the case with visiting your alma mater.
No one is ever where you expect or want them to be.
That's why you come back for multiple visits.
But only if you're that cool.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment