August 18, 2009

A Midsummer's Night Stroll


I know it's not actually midsummer anymore,
as a friend informed me on Twitter,
but I've been meaning to take this walk since July,
so I say it still counts as midsummer. haha.
Tonight was my last opportunity to take this stroll
before I leave for Jerz and the freshmen begin to arrive.
Must say, not all I wanted it to be,
but I still enjoyed it.
Here's the account of my nice pleasant stroll.


Started promptly at midnight.
Left my dorm building and went on my way on campus grounds.
I walked lightly as I saw someone preparing to enter their building.
I was meaning to go that way, so I walked past until I was sure they entered.
I then doubled back and walked on.
They actually hadn't gone in yet.
Awkward, but I still walked onto discover it was a close friend of mines.
He was moving in a coffee table of sorts.
He showed my his new place for the year.
It was homey, even if he was the only one there.
We touched briefly on trees and other fun activities.
He offered me a sody-pop, but I told him I had a stroll to get back to.
It would have been nice to chat a bit longer though.

As soon as I exited the building,
I ran up the stairs outside
and ran into yet another friend of mines.
He was on his was back to his room.
He too talked briefly of trees as well as annoying exes.
I heard him out before we both split on our separate journeys.
Finally, I was alone to take in nature.
The air was stagnant, stale.
It retained the humidity of the day, making the walk less enjoyable.
There was also the white nose: a mixture of loud crickets and mating birds.
It was quite audible for the majority of my trip.

I walked across the bridge to the main campus.
I'm not sure why, but I ran into quite a few spiderwebs,
and this was the walkway that everyone uses throughout the day.
I saw the webs, even the prey, but never the spiders.
I found this interesting, but I decided not to dwell on it too much.

I noticed a flyer for a student film festival type thingy the day after I left for Jerz.
I cursed my luck briefly before I fled the scene as I saw an approaching body.
No more disturbstances.
I then stopped by the atm.
My body felt the need for there to be purpose to the stroll.
I allowed it to feel pleased, but I did not end there.
I marched on to the freshmen side of campus.
Figured I'd take in a few more sights.
I reminsced about my time at work in one of the building freshmen year.
My attention was then turned to the art studio among the buildings.
I had always wanted to know what the inside looked like.
With my new universal swipe, courtesy of my summer job,
I hesitantly entered the building.

It was dark, as I expected.
I turned on the light, but it only illuminated a closet to my left.
The kitchen was on my right.
And directly in front of me was the studio.
Everything had been moved to the side.
The easels and pads and supplies.
I noticed a skeleton amidst the mess.
With the dim orange light falling on it from high above,
it seemed as if it would come to life if I stepped more than 5 feet into the studio.
I noticed a second disassembled skeleton on a sofa on the fifth foot.
I decided it was getting late and made my exit.

Upon my departure,
I felt a presence behind me all the way to the main campus.
I heard steps and cracking of branches over the sound of humping crickets and squawking birds.
I constantly turned my head until I came to the Humanities building.
Funny that I should find refuge on the stoop of the spookiest looking building on campus.
It had been a mansion of sorts before it was a place of learning.
Rumors surrounded the place as I sat down on a lawn chair on its stoop.
I could not get comfortable,
and so I moved to the ledge.
Didn't feel too safe there either,
so I took my leave of the place.

I decided to take the street way back to my dorm room.
It was better that way.
The white noise seemed softer, soothing that path.
I did run into yet another spiderweb though before crossing the street.
I jay walked across the intersection.
Like, I actually walked halfway,
walked backwards in a curve,
and walked back across the street.
I had always wanted to do that.

Soon enough,
I was back in front of my dorm.
I did not feel as if I was being followed anymore.
I did however stay on the sidewalk
and out of the driveway in front of my building.
One can never be too cautious.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment