December 22, 2009

Grades

All my life,
I've been told to get good grades.
When I was younger,
if I had a C on my report card,
I was in trouble.
This and the need to get in a good college
motivated me to do well in school.

I was one of the smartest kids in elementary school.
I was valedictorian of my 8th grade class.
And I graduated with a 3.4 or 3.5 average from high school.

I always felt on top of the educational world.
I stood out cause I was smart.
But with each new school,
it got harder to stand out.
By the time I got to high school,
it wasn't like I was one of the only smart kids.
They were a whole mess of us.

Now I've finally made it to college.
I don't even know every one in my class.
I never will.I don't even know my friends gpas.
We never talk about that stuff,
maybe cause we're always back from when they come out.
In high school, we def ranked according to gpas a lil.
At the very least, it shaped the dynamics of things.
Smart kids actually had respect in my school.

Anyway
,without much talk about grades now,
not even from my parents really,
they hold less significance in my life.
There's no reason for me to really worry.
I never really entertained the thought of grad school.
I kind of do nowadays, but not really.
Grades now are only a gauge of if I'm failing or passing.
Sad. but really how sad?
Not much.
Grades aren't that important.
It's not like I'm gettin D's,
naw, I still got a scholarship to hold on to.
But I no longer freak out over a C or not gettin above 3.0.
2.7 and higher is fine.

Of course, I'm tryna do a little better,
cause I'm not sure if jobs look at your grades.
I doubt it.
But if they do,
I'll make sure to have other things to keep their mind off it.
Because experience beats a piece of paper 4 outta 5.
Word.

[...then again a combo of both is a killer. Hmm.]

2 comments:

  1. yea i see you on this. Elementary and Middle school we were like "AHH.. gotta get good grades cuz high skoo is gonna be a mess harder!!!!"

    Then came high school where we exclaimed
    "We gotta get into the college we waant so we can get a good job so we can be happy in life!!!! ahhhhh!!! good grades = happy life... oh crap!! what am i gonna do with this C?????"

    Now in college I'm like
    "Crappity crap crap. Got a C. It was a difficult class. I'm glad i didnt get a D and fail. Glad I'm outa there! ...on to the next class.."

    I dont plan on going to grad school. I honestly dont want to.

    So grades are important to measure how well I'm keeping my head on the subject but its not like good grades = happy life to me.


    Donald John
    MyLymbo.squarespace.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly.

    I'm not a number.
    I'm intelligent. I don't need a GPA telling me just how smart or dumb I am.

    ReplyDelete