December 30, 2009

Uncle Gregory

It's been a long time since someone called me that.

As a few of you know,
I'm down in Fayetteville, NC
visiting my sister and her 3 kids:
2 boys (11 and 7), and a girl (4).
I haven't seen them since like...
Thanksgiving my freshman year.

So of course when me and my sister went to go get them from afternoon care last week
they all ran to me shouting "Uncle Gregory!"
[My mother's side of the family calls me by my middle name.
Most of us go by some sort of family nickname.]
I gotta admit,it felt good to be so missed.
I mean...
I am the fun/young uncle after all.
I'm the one they run to
when they get in trouble with their mother or grandma. Haha

I forgot what it was like to be an uncle.
The kids have been waking me up everyday.
Luckily, it's been at like 11 or noon.
I guess they know I stay up late.
Actually, I've gotten used to it
and I look forward to it now.
The lil girl is like a cute live action alarm clock.
Her ringtone: "Gregory, time for breakfast!"
:-) Haha.

After breakfast,
the youngest 2 ask for piggyback rides.
I be like "Wahn! I don't wanna."
And they be like, "Come on, Gregory."
So I give in and let them fight over who's first.
I also spin them around and make them fly;
I keep hold of their hands as they feet leave the carpet.
They really seem to like that,
but damn if it don't make me dizzy. Haha.

The oldest one...
He been gettin on my nerves.
We used to be cool when he was younger and when he was still up north,
but ever since he been down here,
he got that southern accent and he always got something to say.
It's probably just me.
We still aight though.

The younger 2 though,
they be crackin me up.
The 7 year old is just animated.
He's been following me around lately too.
He reminds me of myself a lil.
But he just got anger issues,
everytime he lose at a game
he get extra tight.
He gotta chill with that. Haha
And the lil girl,
she just hilarious.
A lot smarter than I thought she was too.
She be usin context clues to figure out words.
And she dress herself and be lookin fly.
Her mother taught her well.

We've been to the movies twice since
I've been here.
We saw Avatar.
Then we saw Alvin & the Chipmunks 2.
The second time, lil girl was lookin
at the Chipmunk display with 3 big statues of the Chipmunks.
It has this sign that says "Don't touch."
Then she looked at the big Percy Jackson display.
She walked over and got me.
She pulled me to the Percy display and said,
"Look, Gregory. No sign."
and went on and touched it.
Well, I just fell out. Haha

I gotta say it's been nice to see them all.
But I'm def ready to go back on my own.
Everytime I get on my laptop,
they wanna use it,
or look over my shoulder to see what I'm doin.
They can all read now,
which I often forget. Haha
So before they come back over and see I'm talkin about them,
I'mma go head and end this one.

Later my good friends [and associates].
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment