December 2, 2009

What's War to Me?


Warning: this post comes from a completely ignonart stance.
I do not know the facts.
I am goin from overviews and hearsay.
Said, but true.

So, remember when I said I was gonna start with the current events?
Well, this is one of em.

So, here's what I know
.Obama is planning on sending 30,000 to Afghanstan,
thus tripling the troops over there when he first got in office.
Um... I thought he was tryna pull em out?
Is this like some weird math equation?
By adding 30,000 to x amount of current soldiers for y amount of time it equals zero troops in z months?

"We must reverse the Taliban's momentum. ... And we must strengthen the capacity of Afghanistan's security forces and government." -Obama
But um... shouldn't we let them worry about that themselves?
They're a developing nation.
They can handle themselves.
If not, the UN can step in with their... army? Never mind.

But you know,
as ignorant as I may be about this war (or these wars),
I don't think my generation know much more than I do.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know.
I was in my theology class today,and for some reason we were discussing the war in Iraq.
We were going through some of the criteria for just causes of war.
The teacher picked out like 5, and we had to agrue if the US checked yes or no in each category.
The yes side seemed to fill up fast.but the no time took more thought.
And the yes answers were vague at that.
It kinda scared me.
We're informed enough to know why we're over there,
but not enought to legitamently agrue against it.

It got me to thinking,
what if I got drafted?
The thought never came to mind.
The middle east is far away.
And I never considered myself a legit candidate to go over there.
Never even thought I'd know anyone over there.
But fact is, I have a few high school friends in the service.
And my sister is in the Air Force.
I guess things are just starting to become real to me.
And to think it only took 8 years or so for it to hit.
[But if I do get drafted, I'm punking out.
Sorry. Me write; me no fight. Haha.
I'd make my asthma act up something vicious.]

But yeah,
with all this said,
I'll def be paying more attention to what's goin on overseas.
Actually start listening to the reasons
instead of just being against it from the jump.
Cause that's just ignorant...
isn't it?
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment