April 12, 2010

Let Me Do It!

I can be very Stuart from MadTV sometimes.

Let me explain.
I have this very particular pet peeve:
when I start something alone
I like to finish it alone.

Like... ok,
let's say I'm setting a table with chairs,
and then someone else comes over and helps me.
I don't like that.
I think it's cause they just end up slowing me down.
Also, it makes me feel like they saying I can't do it alone,
which I know isn't their intention,
simply what it feels like.

Often times,
I'll just grit my teeth and keep quiet,
playing a song in my head to calm myself down.
I'll walk far away and try to do the next task alone.
But then they just follow me and help again.

It's a very odd pet peeve,
one I forget I have sometimes.
Am I crazy?
Am I alone in this?
Let me know, my dear friends [and associates].
I'm eager to know.
Word.

1 comment:

  1. Happened to me all the time couple of summers ago, when I worked at a grocery warehouse. This one time, I'm sorting through this crate of damaged goods, and my boss apparently thinks I'm going to slow, so he decides to butt in, and ends up spilling shit all over the place. I didn't say anything to him, but in my head, I was like, "Way to go, a-hole! If you'd just let me do my job, this wouldn'ta happened!"

    But yeah, I feel ya on that one. There's certain things that I prefer to do on my own so I can say I did it myself, and if someone tries to help, I feel like they're stealing my thunder.

    ReplyDelete