April 15, 2010

Lil Black Indie Boy


This is how I would describe myself somedays.

Now, indie as a term
is pretty vague all in itself.
I'd like to describe it as being outside the norm,
being hip, cool, trendy with out conforming.
Urban Dictionary calls it "cooler than emo."
It also calls people in this category arrogant.
I am, by no means, arrogant.
I simply know I'm better than you.
[It's fun to make fun of myself.]

But no, seriously,
I think I fall under the indie culture
more than the hiphop culture somedays.
I find myself preferring Radiohead or Regina Spektor or Franz Ferdinand
over Wu Tang or Lil Wayne or even Jay-Z somedays.
I consider the movies I watch indie, cult classics,
such as Pulp Fiction, Donnie Darko, Running with Scissors, Fight Club, Death to Smoochie, crap like that.
Granted, some of these movies are kinda mainstream now,
but they still have that non-mainstream feel to them,
kind of how like Radiohead and Modest Mouse are still kinda indie.

There's also the way I've been dressing.
In high school, my clothes kind of baggy.
Like, most of my clothes from then are still big on me.
Now, I buy t-shirts more fitted.
I wear a bit of flannel and tight jeans.
...
Come to think of it...
hip hop culture is beginning to have its own lil indie section
in addition to its underground/mixtape culture.
The biggest example of this I can think of is Kid Cudi.
It suddenly makes sense why people constantly compare me to him.
We kind of carry the same demeanor.
We take like as it comes, no high expectations.
We do our own thing, like what we wanna like,
no matter how different it might be.
This would also be why I like Lupe and Kanye so much.

I don't know.
Indie is just a "term" I've been drawn to since college.
But why the fuck do I need a label?
I can just be me.
But if you're a stranger,
and you see me walking by,
and you don't know my name,
by all means
call me "that black indie kid."
Word

No comments:

Post a Comment