November 18, 2009

Gaga Over the Lady


You know,
when Lady Gaga first arrived on the scene,
I thought she was just another pop diva.
I didn't really pay attention to her.
She just had okay songs to me.
I thought she might just fade away.
Then she became more relevant.
That's when I just thought she was odd.
I heard her on the Wale "Chillin" track and said,
"Hmm... she's not all bad, but nothing special."

Now, I know.
All gays love her.
But I wasn't the one.
Even when she was at this year 's VMAs
and proclaimed "This one is for God and the gays."
I was just like, "Oh, that's nice."
But she did catch my attention that night.
Not just because of her crazy outfits,
which she had plenty to spare.
[Did ya'll see that fucking bird's nest around her hear, yo?!]
But because of her performance of "Paparazzi."
I had actually never heard the song before.
So as she sung and moved around the stage
I found myself captured, not wanting to look away.
The blood at the end was a bit much, yes,
but still some how I loved it.

Now she has this remix out with Beyonce.
Most of you have seen it. "Video Phone."
Some people hate it. Most people love it.
I must say, Gaga kept up with Sasha.
I had to give her props.
But Gaga didn't totally win me over until today, actually.
I was in the place where all us minorities gather here at Loyola.
I'll call it the Minority Spot from here on out and in other monologues.
It was particularly poppin today.
Lotta good people in there.
Someone said they hadn't seen the "Video Phone" video,
so someone put it up on the TV [which is connected to a computer as well.
Yes, we do it way big up in the Minority Spot.]
This soon led to watching other recent Beyonce videos.
Then the guy showing the videos decided to go back to Gaga.
[This was not before making a quick pit stop at Brandy singing in her bathroom to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She actually went in. Haha]

Anyway,
we watched "the Gaga" perform her hit songs,
just her on the piano in a room by herself.
I was able to hear her without all the other shit behind her,
no computerized voiced.
I must say... she can actually sing.
Her lyrics were also quite interesting.
But the main thing that caught me was just her.
Her personality.
She is quirky and socially awkward as all hell.
She just would just do weird funny shit with her voice during some parts in the song.
In one video, she actually put her leg up on the piano as she was playing.
I started dying.

Gotta admit,
I think I'm slowly becoming a fan.
I'm listening to her on imeem right now.
Drawing my final verdict.
I think I'm leaning towards the "yay" side over the "nay".

I mean,
as people say after listening to Gaga (for some reason),
I live!
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment