November 2, 2009

Black Face, White Face


So... this Halloween
I dressed as a white guy, right.
More specifically,
I was Dave Chappelle as Chuck Taylor,
a white newscaster he played on his show.
I had my fake microphone,
my blue blazer,
my chuck taylors on my feet,
my blonde wig,
and of course white facepaint all over my face and neck.

Let me tell you about my experience.
Of course,
my friends, white guys, all liked my costume.
I kinda got the idea from them.
They're all pretty cool.
Then a few white girls came over.
I'm pretty sure I creeped them out,
they didn't look me in the face or even in my general direction the whole time we were in the room.
Then we went out.

When we arrived on the scene,
I received more looks.
People would often see me and immediately look away.
I got a few people who asked me who I was supposed to be.
Because I didn't feel like explaining it all,
I simply said I was a white newscaster.
The person would nod and walk away.
I didn't get any props for more costume.
Well, except from one guy who screamed,
"Hey, you're a white guy!"

I did see one guy in black face,
but it was actually brown.
He was rasta.

When I returned back on campus
and saw a few other friends,
they gave me props for my costume.

I don't know.
I feel like I may have offended the white folks while I was out.
Obviously, I don't care.
It was actually done to see how they would act.
I did put on a stereotypical white voice,
speakin all proper and what not,
commenting on lude acts as a disgrace,
making a few mildly racist comments.
I also danced awkwardly and requested for cous cous to eat.

I was simply performing a sort of modern day ragtag.
If I had seen someone out in legit blackface this Halloween,
I might have wanted to fight,
but I would have gone up to him and interviewed him with my mike.
I really wish I had.

To me though,
one race dressing as another race is just like
a guy dressing as a woman for Halloween.
Is it not?

Obviously, I wanna hear what you have to say on the matter.
Black, white, brown, yellow, red, whatever.
What do you think about someone being something they clearly aren't?
Let me know.

Word.

5 comments:

  1. I think a black person wearing whiteface is subversive, whereas a white person wearing blackface is offensive. It calls to mind a history of blackface, whereas whiteface has no historical precedent anywhere at all near that of blackface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ And the winner of the Twit of the Year award IS,,,, Travel Size Tori!

    * starts slow clap *

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure both blackface and whiteface are equally racist, no matter who does it. I personally take no offense to either. I feel that some people are open to the idea since we are no longer implying the same ideas along with the facepaint. It is simply a costume makeup. I'd probably keep this costume choice to a small party/group of people you know, but if you plan to go out into public with more people who don't know your intentions, I think that you should be more conscious of possibly offending others. There are still news stories about this kind of thing. That's just my opinion though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find your costume good. :)
    I like the idea and don `t feel any kind of offended.
    I know the history of what have been done to plack peaople. I feel really sorry for that and appology for that even when it was in times when even my parrents wasn`t born. But I really can `t realate to this blackface/ whiteface stuff.

    My friend is having problems because he with his friends were doing cosplay of employees of Globo Gym, from the movie Dodgeball. One of the characters in the movie was black so friend of my friend painted his face black to display that character. My friend posted photo on twitter and in few minutes recived a ton of criticism of being racist (he was not even the guy cosplaying the black character).

    If you are interested here is the article about it :
    http://www.dailydot.com/esports/krepo-blackface-league-riot/#

    I really can`t understand this.
    As you have mentioned it`s the same as the man doing woman costume.
    Btw once again nice costume. Got my follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both stupid! I'm white. I'm a Republican! I can literally end racism on this earth in one day. I know where the Ancient Ancient Ancestors of black people come from. And they Did not swing in trees. Idiots! The Sons of God!

    ReplyDelete