November 4, 2009

Warmer and Warmer

I’ve never been one for unnecessary caffeine,
but for some reason Dearest has put the wedding gift to use, for once.
She sets the warm liquid on the stand beside the bed.
I awaken to its aroma.
I marvel at the ring left behind as I raise the mug to my mouth.
It couldn’t have been sitting there longer than two minutes.
I examine the surface of the stand closer and find two additional rings,
laid out as if I found a secret stamp at Disneyland.
Two more and we got the Olympics!
I chuckle aloud, yet manage not to scold myself.
Scold. Why does that word ring so loud in my head?
Why is my head ringing at all? A scent now accompanies the stiffness of the coffee,
one I’ve been attempting to ignore for weeks, one of unfamiliar musk and grass.
I allow the mug to rest on the stand as I leave my bed.
Rushing to leave the presence of this ill feeling,
I forgo the shower and put on the suit I wore yesterday,
I walk out of the bedroom, into the hall,
past the kitchen to hear the Doll call after me as I attempt to avoid her.
I’ll leave the Dame to her household duties.
If we can’t be clean, then at least the house should be.
As I open the door to depart, there’s the young gardener,
shirt barely buttoned,
muscles protruding,
shears in hand.
All of a sudden this summer day feels cold.


Just another through back poem for you all to enjoy.
Copyrighted to the fullest!
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment