November 20, 2009

Solo Singin'

So...
I may be singing a solo.
What of it? Big woop.
Wanna fight about it?
haha.

But yeah,
I'm singing a solo for the Gospel Choir here at Loyola tomorrow.
You know... the concert in the chapel at 7 tomorrow?
The one that's been advertised,
but you probably ignored it just like all the other posters on campus.
Yeah, that one.
Come out and hear the choir singing.
We got mad other choirs coming too.
And a free reception. ;-) [Reception. Not dinner. Haha]
It'll be a great night of fellowship.

But enough of the shameless promotion.
I'm here today to talk about singing a solo.
Now, I've done it before.
But that was at my church back in the day.
You can sing like crap and they'll still be like,
"Go head, baby." "Oh bless your heart." "You better sing, child!"
But now that I'm singing alone for real for real...
There's actual pressure now.
You know like,
you can't just fudge the words like you might in an ensemble.
You gotta know them words!
And the notes... ooo-wee.
If you a half step off... you just feel bad.
The audience might not notice, but you will.
And so will your accompanyment.
And don't start off in the wrong key!
Auh! That happened to me when I auditioned for Chicago.
It was already bad enough I'm a baritone/bass.
I started off wrong and couldn't fix it.
I was like, "Well, I'm not in this show," as I walked off.
Haha

But speaking of baritones and basses.
Do you know how hard it is for us to shine?
We get grouped in with the tenors on gospel songs,
having to sing them notes that's in our head voices. Haha.
And even if we do get a bass part, it's usual some background ish,
you know, the tempo or something.
I don't know, it's not all bad.
It's real fun hitting them low low notes. Haha.

But yeah,
I heard the song and was like,
"Hey. I can do that. That I can do!" [This would a Chorus Line reference. Come on! Get it together, dear listeners.]
Now, there are some high notes for me,
that would be no prob for a tenor or someone else.
But I see this song as a challenge.
I've been expanding my range these pass few years.
It's time to see just how well I can do.
I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.
And for those of you who can't make it,
I'll report back on Monday with a small section on how it turned out.
Enjoy your weekend, folks.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment