November 19, 2009

What You Mean You Ain't Never Seen It?

You know how there are just something you are expected to know?
You know...
kinda like common knowledge.
And if you don't know it,
you just a disgrace to the race or to your friends.
For example,
some things that will get you a funny look if you say you don't know them if you black:
Dr. Martin Luther King
Miles Davis
Jay-Z
Boyz in the Hood [and other movies like that]
How to fry chicken [I'm joking. Gosh... Or am I?]

I bring this up today because
in the Minority Spot
we were watching TVand it ended up on BET [aka Black Evil Television].
However, it had Menace on. So we let it rock.
Then one of the more outspoken people in the room stood up and said
"If ya'll ain't never seen this movie, you ain't black," as a joke.
To his amazement people in the room had actually not seen the movie.
Even more to his amazement, I had not seen it.
He could only shake his head as he said,
"This is why I hate Loyola."
I tried to explain.
Of course I had channel surfed as a kid
and seen the movie on BET before,
but I always said "I ain't bout this right now."
It was all editted and shit anyway.
However, I do agree,
the movie is pivotable.
Black people should watch the movie.
I plan to watch it in full this weekend, prob Saturday.
[Hit me up if you tryna get down.]

When you don't have knowledge of things that are so common in your culture, you miss out.
It puts you at a disadvantage.
It can also make you somewhat of an outsider,
even take away a bit of your creditability.
I should know....I think I just had my black card revoked. :-/
Onward to retrieve it!
I'd hate to slowly have my skin turn a creamy shade.... or would I?
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment