November 17, 2009

Music Overload


I was talkin to a very good friend one night,
discussing hip hop as we usually do.
It was a rousing convo,
one in which I discovered I may be losing touch with hip hop.
This is utter nonsense, of course.
But still, it makes me wonder.
I mean, my friend has committed to hip hop,
memorizing lyrics as if it's his job.
He sees branching off from old school into backpacking and other sub-genres of hip hop as expanding his taste enough.

Lately, for me though,
I've been listening to all kinds of stuff:
Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Soul, Alternative, Rock.
And I love them all, Hip Hop & Alternative being the main two at the moment.
But with this,
I've been constantly receiving new music.

Why just this fall,
that's when I began to feel overwhelmed.
I was fresh from a summer of
discovering J. Cole & Big Sean and
80s music, musical soundtracks, and other music I had stolen from my friend/roommate/coworker.
Then the wave of fall Hip Hop landed at my shores.
Q-Tip, Jay-Z, and Kid Cudi dropped first.
I was blown by all three on different levels.
Q's was great to just vibe to,
Hov's was just straight hip hop,
and Cudi captured the way I was feelin at the time. My man.
I rotated the three new albums for a good week or two,
while listening to my man D.O.'s unoffical CD.
He still gotta go to the studio, though.

Then I felt the urge to download Mos Def,
since he had dropped an album I hadn't copped from over the summer,
only to realize I only had singles of his.
I downloaded his whole collection and listened to that on random for a week straight.
Oh, I decided to download MGMT a bit late around this time too.
Like I said, alternative was taking it's affects on me.
LMFAO's album soon followed.
I heard "Lalala" and "Shots" and lost my mind. Haha

I soon returned to downloading singles
as John Mayer's "Who Says" premiered
and select Lupe tracks were released to the public.
Around the same time,
my single provider had throwback albums on his page
including the Best of Aaliyah, Big Pun, and Dre's The Chronic.
Download. Download. Download.
I also stumbled upon Mr. Hudson's new album on the site.
Since he was featured on 808 & Heartbreaks, I gave him a chance.
I regret it not at all. Great stuff to study to.

I kept getting more singles like
Russian Roulette by Rihanna, Letter by Wale, Popular Demand by the Clipse, etc.
I then found Ryan Leslie's album.
It was a good album to reconnect to R&B with.
It didn't last long, cause the same day I copped Wayne's No Ceilings mixtape.
Gave it a good full listen and liked it.
Haven't listened to the mixtape since.
I went back to rocking my singles playlist until Wale dropped.
Attention Deficit is a good album.
I'm still listening to it,
even though I've just received the Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack
as well as a shit ton of alternative music
from a friend after staying up all night with him as he worked the student desk.
I've also been bumping the A Cool Stick EP.
If you don't know about em,
check em out at acoolstick.com
They're an interesting blend of Hip Hop, Funk, and Acoustic.

But as you see,
I've been OD in these past few months.
There are only but so many hours in the day.
It's been a struggle to balance between my new stuff,
my favorite of the old stuff,
and the random old stuff that'll play when iTunes is on random.
I think I'm beginning to forgot what I have.
Shit, I even have other new music,
but I didnt list them because I didn't feel like listening to them yet.
In addition, I have been listening to the alternative stuff a bit more,
as it is almost brand new to me
and I find it very useful to do homework to.

With the approach of December,
only more music will come.
I believe the Clipse's new joint wil be out soon,
the Nas and Damien Marley collab,
and of course the long awaited return of my man Lupe!

I really want to slow down on my music downloading,
but I'm not sure if I know how.
I'm simply a music junkie.
If you have any ideas on how to help me slow down
or have any new music to help enable my addiction
just hit me up.

Thank ya kindly in advance.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment