March 18, 2012

21) Attend a non-hip hop concert

I would first like to thank WLOY for giving me a free ticket.
My next thanks goes to my lack of competition for said ticket.

I went to the Dr. Dog concert at Ram's Head Live yesterday.
My friend Sam has their latest album on vinyl and has played it for me a few times.
They have a solid sound, but they didn't really stand out to me.
So why did I want a ticket?
Because a lot of my good friends were going and I knew it would be a good time.
It wasn't until we were headed to the venue that I realized I could cross a task of my list.

Why is it on my list at all?
Because I've actually only been to hip-hop concerts.
A few of them played with a live band,
but I felt that I needed to diversify my concert experiences.

And I'm glad I did.
Dr Dog played an amazing show.
I think they're a 5 piece band,
but they were 6 the day of the show:
2 guitarist, 1 bassist, 1 drummer, 1 pianist,
and 1 guy for tambourine and other assorted instruments.
The band has 2 lead singers that switched off songs.
The first guy was tall, dark haired, more attractive
and seemed like your typical lead in a rock band.
He wore sunglasses inside and everything.
However, I liked the short, blond singer better.
His voice was a bit more unique,
and he really got into the songs he sung.

The energy of the crowd rose each time he sung.
Speaking of the crowd,
it was a mix of hipsters and laid back kids.
Well... mostly hipsters.
Turns out hipsters smoke just as much weed at concerts as negroes do.
My group watched the band play from the 2nd floor.
It was cool looking down at them, watching the guys jump around.
The audience below stood and bobbed their heads for the most part.
We on the upper deck were more interesting, though.
During most of the second half of the show, we couldn't stop dancing.
The band jumped, and so did we.

There was no better instance of this than when Dr Dog
played what I believe to be their best song: Lonesome.
And yes, the short blond sung lead.
Because I actually knew the words to that song,
you couldn't tell me nothing.
I'm pretty sure that's when I broke my sweat.
My dancing was very bouncy and free flowing
whereas it's very structure and rhythmic at rap shows.
If you want to say I "white people danced" yesterday, I wouldn't fight you.

As I write this, I'm listening to their album
and catching flashbacks of the show.
I appreciate their sound a lot more now.
Thank you, Dr Dog, for breaking my rock concert cherry.
Can't wait to go to my next one.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment